Squad 2023/24 Arrivals & Departures

Just now, Hunterian said:

Strain is a better player than Baccus and has made a better contribution this season IMHO.

Strain is probably one of our main if not main sellable asset. Closely followed by O'Hara in my humble opinion. I like both and would like them both to stay but if we get the offers for them that are in the bracket I think they will both be gone.

On 6/7/2023 at 7:03 PM, faraway saint said:

Griffiths was very much dismissed on here quite a few years ago, long before he reached the current ripe old age of 32.

It seems that's past your best if you're a football player. 

Depends if you keep yourself in shape

George Best was finished as a top flight player by the age of 28, indeed his final 2 seasons at Old Trafford were dismal so you could say he was finished by 26

Derek Riordan was effectively finished by 28 as well

Griffiths is finished too, just like you 😜

3 minutes ago, Sue Denim said:

Depends if you keep yourself in shape

George Best was finished as a top flight player by the age of 28, indeed his final 2 seasons at Old Trafford were dismal so you could say he was finished by 26

Derek Riordan was effectively finished by 28 as well

Griffiths is finished too, just like you 😜

You've never been anything but finished. :lol:

On 6/7/2023 at 7:33 PM, Wilbur said:

The most depressing aspect as far as I'm concerned is that there appears to be precious little exciting young talent bursting through from our Youth Academy.

If Offord and Jamieson are our best prospects coming through from the Academy to the First Team Squad then it's no wonder our scouts are off trawling through various diddy leagues around the world. I'd love these two youngsters to prove me wrong but, from what they've shown when given their (admittedly few) opportunities so far, there's a helluva lot of improvement required before we're going to see a positive end result.

Happy to be proved wrong though.

True but it doesn’t help that when you do find a genuine prospect, like Dylan Reid, he’s away before he’s hardly played a game

Looks like the young defender Campbell is another who’ll be away before he’s even made the first team

21 minutes ago, alwaystrue said:

Bored so had a look at out of contracts in Scotland. Thoughts on any of the following, Matthew Kennedy (again), Jack fitzwater, Alex iacovitti,  Chris Kane (again). Again just putting available names out there for discussion 😁

No thanks. I don't rate any of them. I can't believe Kane is still only 28 since he seems to have been around for donkey's years, yet in his most prolific season as a striker he managed a whopping 5 goals. And Iacovitti is a talentless thug IMO.

37 minutes ago, alwaystrue said:

Bored so had a look at out of contracts in Scotland. Thoughts on any of the following, Matthew Kennedy (again), Jack fitzwater, Alex iacovitti,  Chris Kane (again). Again just putting available names out there for discussion 😁

It's a no from me. Would hope we have better prospects than those mentioned by you. 

In recent seasons several of our more successful signings have come from either Ireland or Australasia rather than through pickpocketing other Scottish clubs. How many if us had previously heard of Keanu Baccus or Ryan Strain or Alex Grieve or Jamie McGrath before our scouts brought them to us ? That suggests to me that throwing about names of free transfers from other Premiership clubs will only limit our horizons. Continuing to source ambitious young 'unknown' players from untapped leagues who hope to use St Mirren as an opportunity to magnify their profiles to a wider market is a win-win for the player and for us.

41 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

No thanks. I don't rate any of them. I can't believe Kane is still only 28 since he seems to have been around for donkey's years, yet in his most prolific season as a striker he managed a whopping 5 goals. And Iacovitti is a talentless thug IMO.

Agree regarding Iacovitti, just a thug. Wouldn’t take Kane either, be better with an injured Brophy! 

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

Kane has been one of these “promising youngsters “ for years .  Flattered to deceive . 

On 6/8/2023 at 9:47 PM, alwaystrue said:

Back again with Matty Kennedy (again) and Marley Watkins from an entirely unreliable source 😁

Can't quite believe that anyone would want to see Griffiths anywhere near our club......... wasted so many good opportunities and his and his Manager's time and money in the last three or four years.

Certainly he had a few other things on his mind throughout the last 6 years or so, least of which was his Celtic clubmates' nickame for him: "4X4" :blink:

Edited by The Original 59er

1 hour ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

Kennedy destined for Killie according to some media .   

Watkins ?  Meh 🫤 

I am pretty much of the same opinion, just names that seem to come up. From my other post on thus subject, I would consider Fitzwater as a back up centre half, but only if the deal was right

10 minutes ago, Mainstand Sweary Mob said:

So Charles Dunne staying?!

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

Was just told the same. If he does resign, that 1 player less the manager need to get and at least we know what we are getting with him. 

Was just told the same. If he does resign, that 1 player less the manager need to get and at least we know what we are getting with him. 
As you say, we know what we have with him. With him resigning and with Taylor getting better and able to play left back (as Robo has said this and he is more comfortable on the ball and decent pace too) could see us being able to switch to a plan B and Go with Robo's preferred formation at times in a 433 apparently.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk