Squad 2023/24 Arrivals & Departures

On 5/29/2023 at 12:46 PM, Warrior Saint said:

Baccus would not be a loss in anyway...

Agree!

If we can get 500K for him, then we will be laughing all the way to the bank. He has had some decent moments, but tends to disappear more often than not. Also very prone to a booking. 

Add to that, he has been pretty awful since he came back from the World cup.

Take the money (if offered) and boost the budget. Can be replaced based on our previous transfer business under Robbo.

Edited by Prague Buddie

5 hours ago, Prague Buddie said:

Agree!

If we can get 500K for him, then we will be laughing all the way to the bank. He has had some decent moments, but tends to disappear more often than not. Also very prone to a booking. 

Add to that, he has been pretty awful since he came back from the World cup.

Take the money (if offered) and boost the budget. Can be replaced based on our previous transfer business under Robbo.

I think that would be a decent fee , but disagree that he,s been awful . I think we had big expectations of him after the world Cup that didn't materialise , but he is still a consistent and steady performer  who is able to.play at a higher level .

Of the players still under contract, I would be happy if the following stayed

Trevor Carson, Richard Taylor, Mark O’Hara,  Ryan Flynn,  Alex Gogic, Caolan Boyd-Munce, Keanu Baccus,  Ryan Strain, Lewis Jamieson, Kieran Offord,  Fraser Taylor, Declan Gallagher, Luke Kenny.

2 of those i know next to nothing about.  I would also hope Henderson stays as he might just be in the good place we need him to be in.  From that list we have some backs, a few midfielders, one goalie and no proven goalscorers.  There is a huge amout of work to be done to fill the squad and a sizeable amount of failed or at least partially-failed signings to be cleared out.  8 players still here who haven't cut it yet and are unlikely to do any better than they already have.  Alongside the loss of Ethan, that is the reason we stalled at a couple of stages and pretty much trod water in most of the post-split phase.

19 minutes ago, northstbuddie said:

I see Joe's off to Dundee.

Hope SR has an idea of where he can afford a better replacement.

For some mysterious reason, Joe fell behind in the pecking order for a starting place for most of the season.

I never understood that one.  Robinson constantly talked Shaughnessy up, praising his ability & professionalism yet continued to play just about every bugger ahead of him 🤷‍♂️

Good luck Joe , but not when you play against us 😉

1 hour ago, rabuddies said:

Sadly I feel that SR didn't think Joe was quick enough for a back three which was was the preferred option.  Joe was a player who gave his all every time he put on the jersey, no matter the formation being played.  Dundee are getting a diamond.

Spot on. The only issue now is that Gallagher is also very slow.

Well I am very disappointed Joe has gone as he was the best defender we had. Gallagher is 2 years older but I do not see any mention of him being past his best. Joe is rarely injured (unlike Gallagher) and poses a threat at set pieces as well as having the longest throw in by anyone in the squad. He is a model pro who doesn't throw toys out the pram and I would happily have let Fraser, Dunne or Gallagher go before Joe. Is he replaceable? Of course he is but still the best of what we had. Gallagher is very good when he is fit and not suspended but Joe provided the best bang for your buck.

17 hours ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

I never understood that one.  Robinson constantly talked Shaughnessy up, praising his ability & professionalism yet continued to play just about every bugger ahead of him 🤷‍♂️

Good luck Joe , but not when you play against us 😉

I know a chap who works beside me, hs manager always talks about his experience, knowledge, judgement, capacity for work, etc and still passes him over for development opps, interesting jobs, decent pay rises, etc.  Happens everywhere, there are some people that are needed but there is something personal going on that prevents them being recognised and  duly rewarded.

Edited by beyond our ken

15 minutes ago, Sonny said:

Well I am very disappointed Joe has gone as he was the best defender we had. Gallagher is 2 years older but I do not see any mention of him being past his best. Joe is rarely injured (unlike Gallagher) and poses a threat at set pieces as well as having the longest throw in by anyone in the squad. He is a model pro who doesn't throw toys out the pram and I would happily have let Fraser, Dunne or Gallagher go before Joe. Is he replaceable? Of course he is but still the best of what we had. Gallagher is very good when he is fit and not suspended but Joe provided the best bang for your buck.

Maybe the fact that Gallagher had a very long time out of the game, avoiding  injury and maybe getting  his head in a better place and that has allowed him to have more in the tank than other players his age.

Think we need to trust Robbo in the players who go. Joe is replaceable. Our squad is evolving and we need to improve on what we had to go to the next level. We can't sit still as a club. Yes we will miss Joe but we say the same about others. Lets see who comes in. 

There may well be others leaving so exciting times ahead with new arrivals

30 minutes ago, Ethan said:

Think we need to trust Robbo in the players who go. Joe is replaceable. Our squad is evolving and we need to improve on what we had to go to the next level. We can't sit still as a club. Yes we will miss Joe but we say the same about others. Lets see who comes in. 

There may well be others leaving so exciting times ahead with new arrivals

My worry is an over reaction to the debt scare last season. We spent money to assemble a top 6 squad and eventually won £2m for achieving that goal. I hope we don't go back to a budget aiming for 10th. Already talk of developing players rather than bringing in the finished article. Hope we are still pushing for the next level and backing the manager.

I know a chap who works beside me, hs manager always talks about his experience, knowledge, judgement, capacity for work, etc and still passes him over for development opps, interesting jobs, decent pay rises, etc.  Happens everywhere, there are some people that are needed but there is something personal going on that prevents them being recognised and  duly rewarded.
Never make yourself indispensable, you'll never be promoted.

I'm disappointed that we have let Joe go. Even if he wasn't a guaranteed first choice he was still a big asset as a backup starter for defensive injuries, or as a last 25 minutes sub. We cod throw him up front if we needed a late goal, or tactically for his long throw-ins. Let's hope he doesn't come back to haunt us in the Premiership. 

On 6/3/2023 at 2:12 PM, magnus said:

My worry is an over reaction to the debt scare last season. We spent money to assemble a top 6 squad and eventually won £2m for achieving that goal. I hope we don't go back to a budget aiming for 10th. Already talk of developing players rather than bringing in the finished article. Hope we are still pushing for the next level and backing the manager.

We didn’t ‘win’ £2m. Our league prize money was just under £1.8m. Approximately £400k increase on 10th place. So, if we’re dicing with danger on the budget - that was the additional value that we were doing it for. Add on League attendances increase as well.  

Worth remembering that the club waited decades for a pay day like the McGinn money. Then the Covid loan money has been and gone as well. I don’t think anyone should underestimate the financial prudence that is required at a club like Saints. 

On 5/30/2023 at 8:26 AM, Balmullo Bud said:

Baccus in the first half of the season was a stand out. The ground he covered, balls he won and his use of the ball was brilliant. He also looked exciting going forward.
There was chat that he got an injury at the WC but his form dipped when he came back, but still did a great job for us. Still a surreal experience watching a Saints player mixing it with Messi at a WC. With a rest and good preseason he’ll be back to his best, but won’t be surprised if he ends up in the English Championship, but it needs to be for a decent wedge for a change. 
O’Hara has been phenomenal for us and I’d be gutted if he left. 
Strain is probably the most naturally gifted player at the club and love his attitude. Again, would be sad to see him go but if a serious bid approaching Ian Ferguson record money came in for him you’d need to wish him all the best and pocket the cash. 
Not sure about Watt. Was he not quoted earlier in the season saying that he loved it at Saints but would see wages as a stumbling block moving here?? Talented player but not 100% sold on him. A fit Watt under Robinson could be a tasty prospect but I remember how excited I was when we signed Brophy. 
Trust Robbo to come up with some more gems. Our gaffer penning an extension would be our most important signing. 

Strain and O’Hara are both capable of playing at a higher level Baccus too if he can cut out the bookings.

Screenshot_20230606_111943_Chrome.thumb.jpg.25ce1a8548c37b0bb44aea0b8baba430.jpgScreenshot_20230606_111943_Chrome.thumb.jpg.25ce1a8548c37b0bb44aea0b8baba430.jpg

17 hours ago, Maboza said:

We didn’t ‘win’ £2m. Our league prize money was just under £1.8m. Approximately £400k increase on 10th place. So, if we’re dicing with danger on the budget - that was the additional value that we were doing it for. Add on League attendances increase as well.  

Worth remembering that the club waited decades for a pay day like the McGinn money. Then the Covid loan money has been and gone as well. I don’t think anyone should underestimate the financial prudence that is required at a club like Saints. 

£2m according to Google. 

Edited by magnus