jimdickloyal

Speculation Thread

Yeah good player. Another one who scored more than Shankland last season (14 to 10). Would be a step up, which is what we need.

Step up from Shankland?

Are you basing this on the Shankland we seen under Murray, Rae or both.

Step up from Shankland?

Are you basing this on the Shankland we seen under Murray, Rae or both.

I'm basing this on the fact he scored more goals with a better goal to games ratio for a similar standard of team. He's also the same age.

Don't really see a case for Shankland being a better player.

I'm basing this on the fact he scored more goals with a better goal to games ratio for a similar standard of team. He's also the same age.

Don't really see a case for Shankland being a better player.

Not sure it would be a step up, though. Shankland is a known quantity, and was improving. He linked well with Clarkson at times, and seemed to thrive under Rae.

Significantly more game time than shankland also

He also didn't spend half a season being managed by a complete halfwit of manager.

TBH, I'd be happy with either, although Johnston didn't really stand out in our games v Morton.

Shankland on the other hand...........................thumbup2.gif

The Sun saying we're interested in signing John Sutton.

Only 32 and still a goalscorer by all means.

Unfortunately he's only had 4 starts for St. Johnstone and not really a fit for their style. He'd give us a good 2 years and had an interview 2 years back where he states he still holds a soft spot for us as we saved his career at a point where it was going nowhere.

I'd be very happy to see him back in the stripes.

Only 32 and still a goalscorer by all means.

Unfortunately he's only had 4 starts for St. Johnstone and not really a fit for their style. He'd give us a good 2 years and had an interview 2 years back where he states he still holds a soft spot for us as we saved his career at a point where it was going nowhere.

I'd be very happy to see him back in the stripes.

Aye, and someone who could supply him with decent deliveries would be an added bonus....

Andy Little available. Fits AR bill in terms of being able to play in lots of positions. So, does Sadlier to be fair. With Sadlier, Little, Sutton, Clarkson, (and Shankland) backed up by Morgan and McLear gives lots of options up top.

[bold]Andy Little available. Fits AR bill [/bold]in terms of being able to play in lots of positions. So, does Sadlier to be fair. With Sadlier, Little, Sutton, Clarkson, (and Shankland) backed up by Morgan and McLear gives lots of options up top.

As he used to play for sevco! ????

Sutton & Clarkson would be a pretty old and immobile strikeforce.

Then again, Yardley & Laverty wasn't a very mobile combination either!

If we have a couple of decent wide players (Gallagher on the right and someone new on the left), then it would probably work with Clarkson playing in a deeper role.

I think Gallagher looked far more useful when he got a chance through the middle, I'd be more excited about the prospect of him doing the hard work, running off a guy like Sutton, with Clarkson as back up.

His pace and tenacity makes him useful enough as a winger, but he's not a natural wide player.

I think Gallagher looked far more useful when he got a chance through the middle, I'd be more excited about the prospect of him doing the hard work, running off a guy like Sutton, with Clarkson as back up.

His pace and tenacity makes him useful enough as a winger, but he's not a natural wide player.

Jimmy Nichol and Alex Rae (and me) would not agree with that. Nichol had Gallagher at Cowdenbeath and played him wide saying that Gallagher needed space to control the ball and run and people. He could be ineffective when tightly marked as a striker. Murray played him as a striker and he was poor. Rae moved him wide and he looks a far better player. We do need legs through the middle but I do not think Gallagher is the answer.

I thought when he was paired up front with shankland at home for one game and again through at alloa in december he looked more effective as you say

there must be a decent striker coming through our youth academy the last one I can remember that got a chance was Thomas riley we need younger players on longer deals.not 30+ strikers for a season.

I would say Barry Lavety

We have a poor record with forwards

Every single season the forwards are let go

there must be a decent striker coming through our youth academy the last one I can remember that got a chance was Thomas riley we need younger players on longer deals.not 30+ strikers for a season.

...would you have given Riley a longer deal since he is now a superstar with Elgin? Or waste money by giving untested players long term contracts?

All Clubs get only a handful of players that make it to the first team - I reckon we do better than many due to David Longwell's years of hard graft. So we have not had a striker in donkey's years but we signed Shankland on loan and he did the business. It would be nice to have a striker now and then but as long as the conveyor belt keeps producing we take what comes off it.