The Danny Lennon and Tommy Craig Appreciation Thread

There is no guarantee of success whether we keep Danny or bring someone new in.

I wouldn't even say we know what to expect of Danny. The first season had us signing lower league players - most of whom were duds & playing very direct. The second had us playing short passing football which looked promising at the start then faded away.

The third had us very inconsistent in the league and winning a major trophy in the League Cup & last season had us signing & releasing players all over the place before eventually settling on a decent team with a couple of months to go.

It's a gamble either way.

There is no guarantee of success whether we keep Danny or bring someone new in.

I wouldn't even say we know what to expect of Danny. The first season had us signing lower league players - most of whom were duds & playing very direct. The second had us playing short passing football which looked promising at the start then faded away.

The third had us very inconsistent in the league and winning a major trophy in the League Cup & last season had us signing & releasing players all over the place before eventually settling on a decent team with a couple of months to go.

It's a gamble either way.

This post should be in 'The Football Gambling Thread'.

So I take it your retracting everything you've said on the subject of Danny's future? As it's not your decision to make.

What are you on about ? I think he should go , you think he should stay. Differing opinions , that's all. If he goes , good. If he stays , then we both remain supporters of the club and try and get behind him !

Well what would be the point in keeping him? Are you happy with the status quo? Hanging around the bottom 6 all season and scraping survival? Danny's your man for that. Personally, I believe we can do better that.

Have AJ and Archie 'done well' this season? Not according to many fans of both clubs. Both AJ and Archibald have had pressure on them from their fans, both have matched experienced Danny, Archibald has done so with a lesser budget.

Why should we keep Danny? I genuinely can't see a case, apart from people being scared of change.

It's been pretty clear to me that last season DL and TC laid the groundwork for an overhaul of the defence this summer and it involved a lot of pain in the short term: DVZ wasn't going to get enough games for his contract to roll on to another year, neither was Mair, Barron (cover for all defensive positions) wasn't going to get fit enough again and Grainger didn't live anywhere near to expectations and was paid off pronto. 3 decent wages freed up with senior defenders released.

I would be amazed if strengthening the defensive options and adding a decent striker are not DL and TC's top signing priorities for this season.

The last we saw of Danny was him waiting to the players all did their lap of honour at the end of the game, he came out and gave a brief wave and that was it, he was a gent right to the end and a credit to himself, I hope he goes on and bags a great job maybe with one of his favoured clubs that he's played for.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...