Getting Close To £30 Admission Fee At St Mirren Park.

shull

I think it would be a great idea.

Would increase the footfall at the Stadium greatly when the Saints are not playing.

Could certainly run a Coffee Shop/Cafe/Bar.with the endless stream of punters.

Edited by shull

51 minutes ago, chalky1 said:

Not for me, professional football should be played on grass. Extra income would be great but not with a plastic pitch

It has been years since proper professional football players wearing Saints jerseys have played on Greenhill Road grass. 

1 hour ago, shull said:

I think it would be a great idea.

Would increase the footfall at the Stadium greatly when the Saints are not playing.

Could certainly run a Coffee Shop/Cafe/Bar.with the endless stream of punters.

Terrible idea, just awful.  Tommy Docherty is the best groundsman in the history of football ever.  Why play on any surface when you can play on a Tommy Docherty surface?

Between this thread and your awful "knickerwetting" thread I am begining to fear for your mental wellbeing.  

Whatever the problem is take some time and deal with it.  Sensible Shull is one of the best contibuters to this here little forum.  Hopefully this a blip.

40 minutes ago, cockles1987 said:

Next he'll be wanting a greyhound track round it. emoji240.png

Could also have a stock car track.

Side benefit could be that we could narrow the pitch.

More seriously - I am a traditionalist when it comes to the grass / plastic issue.

But

If the Business / Community Case was strong?

I would have to think again.

I'd agree with it. With proper utilisation it would be a superb way to raise revenue. There are grants available for the conversion too although I wouldn't want to see the club go down that route without proper tie ins with local juvenile clubs to ensure proper community benefit.

The only downside is litter. Whenever our kids played at The Excelsior or New Douglas Park there was always a great deal of litter in the stands. I presume this is because clubs weren't taking ownership of their after match clean ups.

1 hour ago, St.Ricky said:

If the Business / Community Case was strong?

I would have to think again.

Football should be played on grass but as St Ricky says we may have to think again. QoS made a bit of money last year from the Quo concert although this year's gig was cancelled (Boomtown Rats) but there may well be others on the way.  We have a larger catchment area so perhaps this is one area of commercial exploitation that shouldn't be overlooked. Not all gigs can fill Glasgow venues and the outdoor summer festival feel has it's place.

On this vein I remember in the 70's reading the book by Terry Venables and old JNI refugee Gordon M Williams called "They Used To Play On Grass" in which they foresee a time when football became a world sport played by big clubs on artificial pitches. Really good book and Gordon M manages to get a reference to Love Street into the book as he was a fan I think. Really worth a read and still available, at a price, on Amazon.

1 hour ago, rabuddies said:

On this vein I remember in the 70's reading the book by Terry Venables and old JNI refugee Gordon M Williams called "They Used To Play On Grass" in which they foresee a time when football became a world sport played by big clubs on artificial pitches. Really good book and Gordon M manages to get a reference to Love Street into the book as he was a fan I think. Really worth a read and still available, at a price, on Amazon.

Definitely a fan.

We had just gathered in The Hoop, a Notting Hill pub (back in the 70s).  A saturday evening.  Paper-seller walking through... we chip in to buy one...

This JNI type(we wurnae) joins our huddle roon the fitba scores...

"Excuse me, can you tell me how St Mirren got on?  It's a Scottish team...?"

Thereafter, we shared a few beers till his wummin came to collect him.  :)

ETA:

A bit more info on the Good Guy, fyi.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2003/oct/22/fiction.features11

Edited by antrin

3 hours ago, rabuddies said:

Football should be played on grass but as St Ricky says we may have to think again. QoS made a bit of money last year from the Quo concert although this year's gig was cancelled (Boomtown Rats) but there may well be others on the way.  We have a larger catchment area so perhaps this is one area of commercial exploitation that shouldn't be overlooked. Not all gigs can fill Glasgow venues and the outdoor summer festival feel has it's place.

The gig thing for is something I would love to see at the ground, close to airport and rail station but can't see it happening due to the houses close by. There have been gigs at Bellahouston so who knows.

2 hours ago, santaponsasaint said:

This is a cancer on football. 

Allows thousands of children to train, practice and play organised Football between September and April. 

Why a cancer anyway? 

St Mirren's shite players cannae trap, pass or shoot a football on Tommy's f**king " Bowling Green " of a Pitch.