Speculation Thread

jimdickloyal

If we can bring in a centre half Teale deserves a 10 year contract. Seriously though I like the way Gary is going about his busines. He clearly knows what our team lacks and is addressing the problem. We have lacked pace and width and with the players we have brought in it should give us both. We now need a feck off no nonsense centre half

Eh, we've clearly needed 2 centre half's since gawd knows when and we are signing midfielders all over the place, yeah thats clearly knowing what the team need.

. One midfielder a striker and two wingers, we lack genuine pace and goals. Gary Teale is addressing the correct areas in which we need strengthening. There's another week to bring a defender in.

. One midfielder a striker and two wingers, we lack genuine pace and goals. Gary Teale is addressing the correct areas in which we need strengthening. There's another week to bring a defender in.

Indeed. We have the 10th best defence in the league, and the 11th best attack.

The reason we are where we are is not the defence, it's the fact that the 5 strikers we've played this season (Thompson, Marwood, Ball, Arquin and Caldwell) have 2 goals between them.

That's the problem.

The reason we are where we are is not the defence, it's the fact that the 5 strikers we've played this season (Thompson, Marwood, Ball, Arquin and Caldwell) have 2 goals between them.

That's the problem.

I know , if only we had played King as a striker. .

That's the problem.

A bogus argument IMO... your stats and facts don't address the real problem,

In this situation you have to look at our midfield who's main emphasis has been in protecting the defence, playing

with 2 defensive midfielder's and our wide players protecting the full backs, is it any wonder why our strikers have

been so poor this season.. starved of any decent service..

A strong and competent defence will obviously allow our midfield to express themselves more in an attacking sense

and create more chances for the strikers... FFS we've just had our first clean sheet in 30 odd games does that not

tell us something..

Our central defence is a shambles and has been for years, surely sometime soon we'll get it sorted, but I wouldn't

hold your breath..

Gary Teale's sharp enough to realise that, in the Scottish Premiership, the standard is sufficiently low that pace alone is a threat. It's sad, but it's a fact. Most SPL defenders are troubled by genuine pace, regardless of the players ability. It might not be a pretty way to win football matches, but the combination of big, strong and quick has a proven track record at this level. Look at the ICT or Hamilton teams that routinely bully us, even Aberdeen and Dundee United don't play expansive total football, they have 7 or 8 athletes and 3 or 4 footballers. I think it's a decent strategy to employ when you're fighting for your life...

Edited by Saint Garf

Gary Teale's sharp enough to realise that, in the Scottish Premiership, the standard is sufficiently low that pace alone is a threat. It's sad, but it's a fact. Most SPL defenders are troubled by genuine pace, regardless of the players ability. It might not be a pretty way to win football matches, but the combination of big, strong and quick has a proven track record at this level. Look at the ICT or Hamilton teams that routinely bully us, even Aberdeen and Dundee United don't play expansive total football, they have 7 or 8 athletes and 3 or 4 footballers. I think it's a decent strategy to employ when you're fighting for your life...

Marwood and Wylde have pace..................

So we were told.

TBH I didn't see much evidence of Marwood's alleged pace when he was allowed near a football pitch.

As for Wylde; Of late, he's looked as if he's out for a Sunday afternoon stroll, and you suspect the only time you'd see his erstwhile pace, would be as he runs off the park after being subbed.

Edited by FTOF

Wylde, when he bothers to try, is a threat, he's proved it before. There are obviously exceptions to the rule, Marwood, I'll give you was pish, but the pattern is undeniable, look at guys like Ivan Sproule, Ross Draper, Gregory Tade, Shay Logan, Peter Pawlett, Ricky Foster and a thousand others who are all utter dross, but who, when utilised in the right way, have been effective for their teams, simply through being either fast or strong.

I'm not saying it's what I want to see us do long term, but for the sake of survival, having a few quick guys up top to get in behind the opposition defence and cause a bit of panic has been proven to be effective time after time...desperate times, desperate measures.

Edited by Saint Garf

A bogus argument IMO... your stats and facts don't address the real problem,

In this situation you have to look at our midfield who's main emphasis has been in protecting the defence, playing

with 2 defensive midfielder's and our wide players protecting the full backs, is it any wonder why our strikers have

been so poor this season.. starved of any decent service..

A strong and competent defence will obviously allow our midfield to express themselves more in an attacking sense

and create more chances for the strikers... FFS we've just had our first clean sheet in 30 odd games does that not

tell us something..

Our central defence is a shambles and has been for years, surely sometime soon we'll get it sorted, but I wouldn't

hold your breath..

You say I've got a bogus argument, then you blame our defence for our lack of goals? If we were keeping scoring loads and conceding loads, would you blame our strikers for our poor defence? Prime example of confirmation bias there, the strikers aren't scoring so blame the defence...?!

If our midfield and wide players are spending so much time protecting the defence, how come they're scoring so many goals? Tess, Naismith, Kelly have all scored and made assists this season. Actually I think they're too forward minded at times, not the opposite, Naismith in particular. Our goal return from full back this season is better than our goal return from the strikers, that's part of the problem. It's the strikers job to be the goal threat, not the left and right backs, they should be defending! Perhaps we'd have conceded less goals if it wasn't for our full backs having to get forward to score goals because our strikers aren't?

The clean sheet is an irrelevance really. People get caught up in runs like that and it makes good headlines, but it really doesn't matter. Similar to the no wins at home thing.

The things that actually matter are goal difference and points. We have more points and a better goal difference than County and we have a better goal difference than Motherwell, hence we are out the bottom 2. Would you rather have kept more clean sheets and have more home wins and be in the bottom 2, like County and Motherwell have and are?

The central defence hasn't been a shambles at all. Indeed it consistently performs better than the team as a whole. Our defence was the seventh best in the league last season, we finished eighth. Equal ninth best the season before, we finished eleventh.

It's all very well saying these stats don't matter and the truth is actually different when your evidence amounts to a subjective opinion. It would seem the facts, our current manager and his two predecessors all disagree with you. Think they're all wrong?

When we go behind in games we have barely had it in us to put up a fight. Lack of belief? Lack of service? I blame both.

Teale has brought in the boy from west ham to play a similar position to mclean. Big ask for the boy. Absolutely.

We needed something abit more in terms of pace and drive towards the byeline. Sonupe has been brought in for this

Wylde is useless and we need a bit more experience to support the midfield, so we bring in Dayton.

Arquin can play off the striker, or slot into a winger role too on a 3 prong attack.

As for the defence, yes we need cover there, but now with the midfield topped up, kelly coyld easily slot in at left back if need be with Tess moved in as centre half. I personally wouldnt shift goodwin or Cheesey. Goodwin has been having some of his best form at the moment and this will do well for Cheesey.

we bring in Dayton.

Arquin can play off the striker, or slot into a winger role too on a 3 prong attack.

As for the defence, yes we need cover there, but now with the midfield topped up, kelly coyld easily slot in at left back if need be with Tess moved in as centre half. I personally wouldnt shift goodwin or Cheesey. Goodwin has been having some of his best form at the moment and this will do well for Cheesey.

I wouldn't change either for any present player but I would certainly like to get a good CH in.

If we have genuine pace up front , a long punt forward into space is a genuine threat , and maybe an option we shouldn,t be shy of using when we are under pressure , which might cut out a few defensive mistakes .

Also having a couple of fast players about the halfway line when we are defending corners , might not only restrict the amount of players coming up for corners , but give us a real threat as soon as the corners cleared .

Looking forward to seeing the new look Saints

If we have genuine pace up front , a long punt forward into space is a genuine threat , and maybe an option we shouldn,t be shy of using when we are under pressure , which might cut out a few defensive mistakes .

Also having a couple of fast players about the halfway line when we are defending corners , might not only restrict the amount of players coming up for corners , but give us a real threat as soon as the corners cleared .

Looking forward to seeing the new look Saints

On evidence from Youtube, the boy Sonupe could be very useful for keeping up the field when we are defending corners. Pace to burn and a decent finisher.

OK then, one game and a couple of goals either way would reverse those stats, would it reverse your view, somehow I

don't think so..

Oh and your right, 3 managers have failed to address the CB position over the last 5 years, yet every season we've got

one of the worst defensive records in the league... Wonder why?

So we were told.

TBH I didn't see much evidence of Marwood's alleged pace when he was allowed near a football pitch.

As for Wylde; Of late, he's looked as if he's out for a Sunday afternoon stroll, and you suspect the only time you'd see his erstwhile pace, would be as he runs off the park after being subbed.

I had high hopes for Wylde this season, he was impressive pre season but after some initial promise you can understand why his previous clubs have decided to dispense with his services. Shit attitude and no stomach for the fight.

HIs only contribution for the remainder of this season, will be to fill a spot on the bench.

OK then, one game and a couple of goals either way would reverse those stats, would it reverse your view, somehow I

don't think so..

Oh and your right, 3 managers have failed to address the CB position over the last 5 years, yet every season we've got

one of the worst defensive records in the league... Wonder why?

Well not exactly. We have played less games than both Motherwell and County. Even if they both keep clean sheets in the three games they have combined in hand over us (very unlikely) we'd still have a better defensive record than both! The statistical gap between our defence and theirs is obviously likely to widen when they have played their games in hand.

Last season we had the seventh best defensive record in a league of twelve. One of the worst?

Well not exactly. We have played less games than both Motherwell and County. Even if they both keep clean sheets in the three games they have combined in hand over us (very unlikely) we'd still have a better defensive record than both! The statistical gap between our defence and theirs is obviously likely to widen when they have played their games in hand.

Last season we had the seventh best defensive record in a league of twelve. One of the worst?

Are we counting cup games in this? In the league we have played one more game (25) than Motherwell and County (24).

Gavin Reilly is having a good season at QoS, his contract is up at the end of the season. I think he would be a good bit of business, only 21 and seems to be progressing well. Imo we should be looking to sign him up on a PCA for next season as I doubt we would need to burst the bank to get him.

Edited by Stevie88