Speculation Thread

jimdickloyal

On 1/11/2022 at 3:33 PM, portmahomack saint said:

Total disgrace what happened with Ross Stewart, and I don't just blame Allan Stubbs what about the other football people at the club who would see him every day he should never have been allowed to leave so early 

Anyone with half a brain could see he had potential,  I certainly could on the few occasions he got on the park,  it's no surprise to me he's doing so well 

On 1/11/2022 at 4:19 PM, magnus said:

I thought he was a bit of a haddie.

Said no-one ever - except Stubbs.

OK I’ll break cover.

I might not have thought he was a big haddie, but I never saw much in him during our time with us and I certainly wasn’t heartbroken when he left. 

20/20 hindsight is such a wonderful thing. 
Everyone is a scouting genius now he’s scoring for fun in English League One.

Even when he was scoring a handful of goals for RossCo I didn’t think he was a massive loss. 

6 hours ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

OK I’ll break cover.

I might not have thought he was a big haddie, but I never saw much in him during our time with us and I certainly wasn’t heartbroken when he left. 

Even when he was scoring a handful of goals for RossCo I didn’t think he was a massive loss. 

Ross County often didn't play him properly either. Was he not played out as a wide forward quite frequently? Mind we did that with Lee Erwin once and he was shite there, too.

7 hours ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

OK I’ll break cover.

How can you be expected to be taken seriously when you can’t even get the f**king year right ?  😉

13 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

For a wee bit of perspective, every NZ player who made it big started out at clubs like Birkenhead. 

Chris Killen, Chris Wood, Winston Reid, Sarpreet Singh of Bayern Munich.

Bill Tuiloma actually went from Birkenhead to Marseille and made it into their first team in 2015. He now now plays MLS football week in week out for Portland.

f**king daft to suggest that we ought to write him off for being amateur. Almost every player who makes it to the full NZ national team goes this route of playing for a club until they are 18-22 and the best ones head for Europe. This lad has had that path delayed by a two year pandemic.

Yeah, I think it's easy cannon fodder to shoot a player down before seeing him, because of where he is playing or what level he is playing at. As you say, some players from similar background have went on to big things. Oz and NZ have less of a platform than Europe. I know Mooy never got his chance with us (went on to bigger things), though look at where he started before his move to Bolton, its fairly similar pathway as most young players from Australia and New Zealand.

17 hours ago, Tommy said:

Fakes fans on P&B don't seem to be very impressed. 

His record in recent years is not great and the lack of playing time recently won't help his fitness. 

I know we need strikers, but glad he is at the Fakes rather than us. 

Davidson claims that he will bring "heart" to the team

I think hat is the key thing that Ciftci has lacked throughout his career.  Apart from fouling he totally bailed on them during our play-off games.

2 hours ago, kevo_smfc said:

Yeah, I think it's easy cannon fodder to shoot a player down before seeing him, because of where he is playing or what level he is playing at. As you say, some players from similar background have went on to big things. Oz and NZ have less of a platform than Europe. I know Mooy never got his chance with us (went on to bigger things), though look at where he started before his move to Bolton, its fairly similar pathway as most young players from Australia and New Zealand.

Chris Wood just moved to Newcastle for 25 million. He started in NZ's amateur leagues and has scored roughly 1 goal every 3 games since he came to the UK. I'd be quite happy if the young lad did the same for us.

6 minutes ago, Mainstand Sweary Mob said:

My digging about isn't great, so does anyone know who we have partnerships with? The mob in New Zealand and anyone else? I thought there was some other mob in Australia. Do we have one on North America?

Sent from my IN2023 using Tapatalk

Birkenhead - New Zealand

Rosario - Northern Ireland

Para Hill Knights - Australia

I never did understand after the success of Andy Dorman, why we haven't explored North America. 

Birkenhead - New Zealand
Rosario - Northern Ireland
Para Hill Knights - Australia
I never did understand after the success of Andy Dorman, why we haven't explored North America. 
Me too as Dorman was a great find. At the time as well a link up would have been good as MLS was really a league where people went to retire and cash in a bit. It wasn't as well respected. Now the money in it players are going to it earlier in their careers.

11 hours ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

OK I’ll break cover.

You're not the only one who couldn't see the boy had potential, The club didn't either I'm not sure why 

The boy was 6ft 2" and built like a one iron he needed time, and someone at the club should have had the balls to tell Stubbs to F%%k off,  when was the last time we had a 6'2" striker coming through our books FFS 

The boy scored on his first start for us in the league cup...  in the same season scored 10 goals for Alloa in 23 games in a tough league for a part time team, if that's not potential what is 

He only made 2 starts in the league his last start was against Dundee which we won 2-1, [ the only league game we won in 13] before being transferred to Ross County and replaced by the goal machine Brock-Madsen 

I'm not surprised he's doing well and I think he'll get better still 

56 minutes ago, portmahomack saint said:

You're not the only one who couldn't see the boy had potential, The club didn't either I'm not sure why 

The boy was 6ft 2" and built like a one iron he needed time, and someone at the club should have had the balls to tell Stubbs to F%%k off,  when was the last time we had a 6'2" striker coming through our books FFS 

The boy scored on his first start for us in the league cup...  in the same season scored 10 goals for Alloa in 23 games in a tough league for a part time team, if that's not potential what is 

He only made 2 starts in the league his last start was against Dundee which we won 2-1, [ the only league game we won in 13] before being transferred to Ross County and replaced by the goal machine Brock-Madsen 

I'm not surprised he's doing well and I think he'll get better still 

He had bags of potential but Stubbs was so incompetent he couldn't see it. Worst manager in the history of our club by a country mile. Pity Jack Ross left as he did  see his potential and ability. We would have ended up with the player that Sunderland now have if JR had stayed. I also think JG would have recognized his ability too.

21 hours ago, Mainstand Sweary Mob said:

Is this because the professional strikers we seem to bring in seem to be shite at taking a man on and scoring, so we are looking to see if we can get this from amateurs?

100% right. I get it initially he thought with using the full budget at the start to get "quality" players in he thought the initial squad would change for top 6. I thought last season we changed shape depending on the opponent. Defensively we were alright and just needed to look at attack options. He has made us 1 dimensional with this system, which teams have found us out.
We also used to play it on the Deck more and out from the back last season, but not this season. Formation has changed, but at the back the only new player is Dunne. Surely we could still play out from the back as it worked before?

With using all his budget early on It has now left us hanging as we need people to leave to free up any cash. The fringe players have no stage to show any potential teams what they could do for them too. Erwin we need to leave to get someone in, but no f**ker sees what he can do. Only see at the warm up at most?! How are you supposed to get rid of that?

Got to say defence signings have been good. Jim can spot a good player there. Say same to an extent with midfield with Jamie and Ronan... But apart from Brophy his strikers have been sub par at best.

I keep doing this and ramble, but it's frustrating. I like Goodwin. I think the 3 at the back could work and can at times, but also need plan B, which we don't have and we need pace, creativity and goals. Or maybe if had creativity then that would lead to goals.

I've never seen Erwin do anything at SMFC. He's actually an indictment of Goodwin ability as a manager at our level.

Goodwin for me won't take us any further. In reality what we should really do is show him the door and get Jack Ross back to finish the job.

Fairly brutal but I think that would get SMFC to a better place long term

Edited by lenziebud

27 minutes ago, lenziebud said:

I've never seen Erwin do anything at SMFC. He's actually an indictment of Goodwin ability as a manager at our level.

Goodwin for me won't take us any further. In reality what we should really do is show him the door and get Jack Ross back to finish the job.

Fairly brutal but I think that would get SMFC to a better place long term

How does that make sense based on past experience?

JR would be gone within a year to bigger and greater things elsewhere at the first sniff of an offer.

26 minutes ago, northstbuddie said:

How does that make sense based on past experience?

JR would be gone within a year to bigger and greater things elsewhere at the first sniff of an offer.

Don't think those offers would be as quick this time. Anyway any SMFC manager who pushes us into top 6 could be off tomorrow !

Don't think Goodwin will get us top 6. Just my feel on his ability

Edited by lenziebud

19 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

For a wee bit of perspective, every NZ player who made it big started out at clubs like Birkenhead. 

Chris Killen, Chris Wood, Winston Reid, Sarpreet Singh of Bayern Munich.

Bill Tuiloma actually went from Birkenhead to Marseille and made it into their first team in 2015. He now now plays MLS football week in week out for Portland.

f**king daft to suggest that we ought to write him off for being amateur. Almost every player who makes it to the full NZ national team goes this route of playing for a club until they are 18-22 and the best ones head for Europe. This lad has had that path delayed by a two year pandemic.

A wee bit of perspective, for every one of the names you mention there's thousands who turn out to be duds.

Aye, no need to write him off but equally as daft mentioning Bayern Munich. 

We, IMO, need hardened professionals to dig us out of the rut we're in, at this stage I'm more than unsure this guy is that player. 

27 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

A wee bit of perspective, for every one of the names you mention there's thousands who turn out to be duds.

We, IMO, need hardened professionals to dig us out of the rut we're in, at this stage I'm more than unsure this guy is that player. 

Agree.

Especially when you read articles like this.

”Ninety-seven per cent of the former elite academy players now aged 21 to 26 years old failed to make a single Premier League appearance, official statistics reveal……”

https://inews.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league-academy-players-figures-appearances-numbers-1387302

1 hour ago, faraway saint said:

Nobody is saying he is the hardened professional or the one that’s coming in for now.

This has been a long arranged trial. If he’d appeared in October, then everyone would be welcoming him and say it’s great we’re thinking out the box. Because it’s January, people are having a fit.

Just now, aldo_j said:

Nobody is saying he is the hardened professional or the one that’s coming in for now.

This has been a long arranged trial. If he’d appeared in October, then everyone would be welcoming him and say it’s great we’re thinking out the box. Because it’s January, people are having a fit.

I didn't say he was a hardened professional? 

It's not October and we're on a bad run, personally I'd prefer a "name" that's been there done that, and this isn't that.

I'm only providing some balance, if you don't agree, that's no big deal.

Let's see. 

Who knows, he could be one in a thousand, but the odds are he'll not be a future Bayern Munich player. 

15 minutes ago, Ethan said:

I would take a punt on Leigh Griffiths. Goodwin is a good man manager who could be the one to get him playing again. 

Don't think he can play for another club in Scotland just now as he's played for two this season.