Harkins Contract Terminated By Mutual Consent

It's beyond tedious now and embarrassing that grown men who are supposed to support the same team are treating one another like this. I'm fed up coming on looking for any updates or information to end up reading crap on what is most most threads now. It really puts me off posting something without either being taken literally or shot down for having a varied opinion. Fed up with what should be a good source of info on our team .

^^^^^^^^^^

this!

The new season can't start soon enough!

It's beyond tedious now and embarrassing that grumpy old men who are supposed to support the same team are treating one another like this. I'm fed up coming on looking for any updates or information to end up reading crap on what is most most threads now. It really puts me off posting something without either being taken literally or shot down for having a varied opinion. Fed up with what should be a good source of info on our team .

But that's what grumpy old men do.

Seems like bridges were burned awhile back with Harkins. Like other areas though, we are now light in the centre of the park, and that's somewhere we've had a fair amount of depth in recent seasons. Left with a veteran player-coach alongside a couple of players (McLean and McGinn) who we will do well to retain for the duration of the season.

As the weeks go by, I'm getting the feeling that there will be nowhere near as many coming into the club as have gone out. Is it 10 out so far and 2 in? I don't think we'll get more than 5 signings before August. There is probably an assumption now that every season 1 or 2 of the young players will break through to the first team to replace older ones. Quite right as well. After Danny took over we definitely got better at this, and it's the correct way forward for us.

Edited by Julian Banjos

Seems like bridges were burned awhile back with Harkins. Like other areas though, we are now light in the centre of the park, and that's somewhere we've had a fair amount of depth in recent seasons. Left with a veteran player-coach alongside a couple of players (McLean and McGinn) who we will do well to retain for the duration of the season.

As the weeks go by, I'm getting the feeling that there will be nowhere near as many coming into the club as have gone out. Is it 10 out so far and 2 in? I don't think we'll get more than 5 signings before August. There is probably an assumption now that every season 1 or 2 of the young players will break through to the first team to replace older ones. Quite right as well. After Danny took over we definitely got better at this, and it's the correct way forward for us.

When did harkens play in midfield?

When he played he played of the striker.

No saying we couldn't do with more cover.

The sooner the football season starts the better.

And maybe aw this buddie animosity will vanish.

unlikely sad.png

They should just make you a modsaddam.gif notworthy.gif

Nightmare scenario.

Bad enough a pot calling the kettle but a pot calling the pot?

Next thing we'll have Suarez opening a vegetarian restaurant!

Harkins has signed for Dundee on a two year deal. Building a St Mirren themed retirement home up there it would seem.

Great news for us. Imagine if they try to play McGowan and Harkins in the same team? Remember when we tried that?

I will be astounded if we don't finish at least 10 points above them.

Harkins has signed for Dundee on a two year deal. Building a St Mirren themed retirement home up there it would seem.

Great news for us. Imagine if they try to play McGowan and Harkins in the same team? Remember when we tried that?

I put a similar post in the Gowser thread, sorry didn't know you'd beat me to it.

Sounds like the kiss of death.

Harkins was never coming back and not convinced it would have worked out had he returned.

Dundee will probably average about 1, 500 more fans than us per home game so that's why they are splashing the cash but they do seem to be throwing quite a bit money at their new squad.

Still the chances of Dundee, rangers or even hearts folding by end of season is still a distinct possibility.

Harkins and McGowan return to St Mirren Park in Dundee's midfield? Prediction time!

McGowan receives a quietly respectful welcome from the West Bank clientele. A wee round of applause early in the game, McGowan responds with a quick round of applause in our direction.

Harkins gets booed tae' fcuk with 'lazy useless basturt' jibes.

The latest odds on this happening will be along in a minute from Ray Winston.... Ave' a bang on that!

Harkins and McGowan return to St Mirren Park in Dundee's midfield? Prediction time!

McGowan receives a quietly respectful welcome from the West Bank clientele. A wee round of applause early in the game, McGowan responds with a quick round of applause in our direction.

Harkins gets booed tae' fcuk with 'lazy useless basturt' jibes.

The latest odds on this happening will be along in a minute from Ray Winston.... Ave' a bang on that!

He won't care though, way too much effort involved in that.

Without doubt Gowser and Harkins will destroy us at least once this season. this whole scenario smacks of Dougie Bell all those years go , we couldn't harness his young talent but Aberdeen made him into a multi honour winning midfielder. I'm 100% convinced that Hartley will succeed with them together where Danny failed , and Tommy wouldn't even give it a shot !

Without doubt Gowser and Harkins will destroy us at least once this season. this whole scenario smacks of Dougie Bell all those years go , we couldn't harness his young talent but Aberdeen made him into a multi honour winning midfielder. I'm 100% convinced that Hartley will succeed with them together where Danny failed , and Tommy wouldn't even give it a shot !

Would you have been happy for both players to remain at the club and the wage budget to take the corresponding hit on the basis of their respective showings last term?

McGowan had a poor season by his standards (though I would have been fine with him staying if he hadn't commanded a daft wage), while Harkins was pretty rubbish for whatever reason.

On paper, the club should have made a substantial saving in offloading the players. Assuming this is passed onto the new manager to invest in the squad, then I think it seems entirely reasonable to replace Harkins and, to a lesser extent, McGowan on the basis that both were underachievers last season. Sometimes it is best to freshen things up, and I'm prepared to give the new management team a chance to prove that they can do this.

Whether Harley can squeeze more out of the players is a moot point, and mere speculation for now.

Gowser was a moody wee player, always pointing his finger. His shots were as if you'd pressed a slow motion button and he'd lost that touch and ability to turn a man. Who knows what tantrums he threw at training, he never was far off a shout or argument during games.

As for Harkins, he excels when around poorer players and in lining his pockets. He's also exceptional at f**king around during warm ups and that spread to at least McLean and Reilly.

How can you post like this about Dougie Bell and not mention Alex Ferguson? Ferguson was a genius and those of us who are lucky enough to have seen him manage our team know that he could bring out the best in any player. I bet Fergie would have turned Harkins into a fine player. He would never have got away with being a lazy bastard. Work or f**k off was how Alex managed. And the bulk of the players who played under him worked.

Given how the club stood by Gowser last season, and that intervention stopped him getting a custodial sentence.... it isn't difficult to work out with the subbing towards the end of the season that he has been causing problems.

Poor work rate, poor attitude set in, and those were never things you never associated with him. yes he was a nippy wee sweetie, but usually galvanised him to dig deeper.

Something's changed there.. and you have to wonder why, given all the plaudits Gowser has received why he only ended up at Dundee..?

yeah i guess they agreed to pay his wage demands, but no one else wanted to touch him!

He might raise his game against us? But is that really worth if he stayed paying him top dollar to be continually hooked because he doesn't fancy it???

The irony is Harkins joining them as well means they will only be able to sub one lazy bastard with another when they really need an impact player on.

Edited by Lord Pityme

Releasing Harkins and McGowan , has probably enabled us to offer McLean a better wage and keep him , and bring in James Marwood and Ellis Plummer , only at the end of the season will we be able to decide whether it was good business or not .

And to me its more about how well the new signings do for us , than how well Harkins or McGowan do at Dundee