The Tommy Craig Must Go Thread

Flareybob

Last years bad start did not look so bad with a few clubs not really pulling away and hearts being -15. We have now watched this year as Hamilton , Patrick and killie all get good starts and leave us a mountain to climb. Combine that with Dundee starting well and you imagine Motherwell and st.johnstone will grind out a few wins. We look absolutely gubbed. We can't score our defence is poor and leaks goals for fun plus Thompson is out long term. This all points to a struggle and I fear we could be isolated if this run continues. For those slating cheesy I would urge you to watch Naismith. I know he is young but he has been stinking for months now and looks slow. I was hoping when tommy came in we would sign proven spl players ? We haven't in forward positions. What you have is the new Stewart kean (marwood) and caldwell with ball who are untried and lack the clinical execution required to be a success. With thommo out we are completely screwed and this new managerial dream team looks less likely to deliver by the week. I feel sorry for them in particular tommy who is being let down with some woeful performances from good players. McLean hasn't kicked a ball and McGinn has been poor generally too. The loss of McGowan hasn't helped them in midfield . Listen it is early but in my mind they must win soon and build on it either that or we to take drastic action is this would possibly save us. It would need a big personality but they are out there and if puli scan pull palace up the table an proven spl manager can do it with us. I think if we leave it it will be too late unless we win soon. I don't particularly want to my out I am just saying when you lose all the time things need to change quick

There is an assumption a new manager could get this squad winning games but seriously would he ? Would a new manager turn Marwood, Ball or Caldwell into regular goalscorers or turn our suspect defenders into goal stoppers. Would he stop Goodwin running about fouling ? I have my doubts. We have in what I have witnessed a pretty poor squad and the few decent players we do have are devoid of form and confidence. There is a definite whiff of relegation in the air even this early. Yes the manager might be poor but I don't buy the theory many put forward our squad is better than the likes of Thistle, Hammies or Dundee. No money, a poor squad and a closed transfer window what would any new manager do with this lot ???

There is an assumption a new manager could get this squad winning games but seriously would he ? Would a new manager turn Marwood, Ball or Caldwell into regular goalscorers or turn our suspect defenders into goal stoppers. Would he stop Goodwin running about fouling ? I have my doubts. We have in what I have witnessed a pretty poor squad and the few decent players we do have are devoid of form and confidence. There is a definite whiff of relegation in the air even this early. Yes the manager might be poor but I don't buy the theory many put forward our squad is better than the likes of Thistle, Hammies or Dundee. No money, a poor squad and a closed transfer window what would any new manager do with this lot ???

Exactly the point I was making when you focused on my typing error.

Where is Terry butcher these days. I'd take him as manager. Did really well I thought at ICT.

Was offered the County job before McIntyre got the gig. One of the reasons was County were already 12 points behind Caley at that time and TB thought that would be potentially too much to catch up....especially if it did not go to plan. Doesn't think he will manage in Scotland anytime soon.

Ayrshire Saints. Your post is well put.Tommy however was involved in decisions during Danny's tenure and he has assembled this poor squad of players.The SPL is full of former Saints like Ssmson Carey Imrie McGinn McGowan Harkins and Magennis.I ask you are our new signings better than those? Craig is clearly not up to the job and seriously could a replacement be any worse.Get an experienced man in NOW with a proven track record for God's sake and least give us a chance before it is too late.

Absolutely demoralised watching St. Mirren these days. Another wasted season ticket it seems.

If St. Mirren haven't been sold by now being debt free, having a brand new stadium, training ground and having one the best youth academies in the country then it might just be time that Stewart Gilmour realises he could be here for a while. Tommy Craig was the cheap option, we all know that. If it continues like this Gilmour will have a decision to make and the cheap option could very well turn out to be the most expensive option.

The club wont get sold if were sitting in the Championship.

Edited by Dan Is The Man

Absolutely demoralised watching St. Mirren these days. Another wasted season ticket it seems.

If St. Mirren haven't been sold by now being debt free, having a brand new stadium, training ground and having one the best youth academies in the country then it might just be time that Stewart Gilmour realises he could be here for a while. Tommy Craig was the cheap option, we all know that. If it continues like this Gilmour will have a decision to make and the cheap option could very well turn out to be the most expensive option.

The club wont get sold if were sitting in the Championship.

All Very true!

The mountain we have to climb already is worrying, said it all along, why sack a manager and use his number 2? We needed a fresh start.

Totally sick of the lack of progress and inevitable spiral the board have afforded us!

Appreciate a lot of what the board have done in the past but now....

My point is simple. I think this board will give TC to Christmas regardless of results. If we keep losing Tommy may resign before then, but I would be astonished if the board terminated a 2 year contract less than 6 months into it.

The point about past records isn't relevant to this discussion. That was relevant to the discussion about his appointment, not to whether he should stay or not. He now has the job, he is the manager. Discussions on the merits of his appointment should be had after he leaves.

Simply I believe every manager should start with a clean slate and be judged only on his managerial performance at his current club. I also believe any manager should be given half a season as a minimum to impose his ideas. I would be making these points regardless of who our manager was.

I think following St Mirren has blind faith as a prerequisite to be honest. Sacking TC and making another appointment so early would be an expensive form of blind faith.

As I've said elsewhere, I think we are in a far better position now than we were at this time a year ago. Not that that is saying much, but we don't look like a disinterested shambles like we did then.

Disinterested shambles

The home game against Hamilton was the worse performance i have seen from a St Mirren team in a long long time

I was horrified what i saw a complete shambles especially in midfield

No shape,players following the ball i have seen better organized teams down the Racecourse.

I thought unless we got in SPL players in the spine of the team we will go down

We got one in,no surprise he has been the best performer in the last couple of games

The squad we have would finish mid table in the Championship

Disinterested shambles

The home game against Hamilton was the worse performance i have seen from a St Mirren team in a long long time

No shape,players following the ball i have seen better organized teams down the Racecourse.

We got one in,no surprise he has been the best performer in the last couple of games

I'll raise you our game at Perth last season which was gash.

Very hard to quantify games in the "worst you've seen" as over the years there been that many.

Also the Hamilton game seems to be, by far, a real stinker. Other games there's been signs we've played well, by most decent accounts.

Still we all know its a results business and the pressure is on.

Disinterested shambles

I thought although we were bad that night, that Accies were very good.

The fact they are now top of the league would suggest that they actually are a good side, they've beaten better teams than us.

Ayrshire Saints. Your post is well put.Tommy however was involved in decisions during Danny's tenure and he has assembled this poor squad of players.The SPL is full of former Saints like Ssmson Carey Imrie McGinn McGowan Harkins and Magennis.I ask you are our new signings better than those? Craig is clearly not up to the job and seriously could a replacement be any worse.Get an experienced man in NOW with a proven track record for God's sake and least give us a chance before it is too late.

I wouldn't complain one bit if we did change the manager and everything you say is true but Im not sure if the majority of our squad are good enough regardless of who's in charge. I have seen very little to suggest any of our new forwards or Drury are of the required standard.

While many managers might struggle to turn our current squad into a free scoring goal machine I reckon there are plenty of out of work bosses like Butcher who could at least make us competitive and hard to beat and introduce the concept of keeping a clean sheet.

Exactly.

Butcher would be a good appointment for us.

Tommy Craig must go!!

So how did butcher get on makinging Hibs hard to beat.

Butcher was hung out to dry by the Hibs board. He'd made it clear that a lot of the previous managers' signings weren't his type of players and didn't have a future at the club under him and been told he could bring in his own players in January and start putting his own stamp on the squad and then Petrie ballsed up a number of the deals and they fell through. Hardly any January signings and then he was stuck with a bunch of players he had zero confidence in, and they in turn had little motivation, other than professional pride, to perform for him. His record at Inverness on a similar budget to us suggests he can source players at our level and build a united squad who perform beyond people's expectations and punch above their weight. Is he a great long term fit for St Mirren? You could argue Butcher might not be great at wanting to bring youth players through and tends to sign lots of lower league English players with a reasonable success rate and also tends to put together teams who are stuffy, hard to beat but maybe don't have much flair or entertainment value. Against this it could be argued our flamboyant attacking passing game and desire to play football in the right way doesn't seem to be producing goals or forcing opposition keepers into many decent saves.