Billy Mehmet

billymehmet1

Billy Mehmet only scored 39 times for Saints in his five seasons.

2005/06 - 2

2006/07 - 4

2007/08 - 8

2008/09 - 12

2009/10 - 13

His last 3 seasons,wasnt a bad return, considering we were a team always in the bottom half. His first season or two, sutton was the main goalscorer, then higdon.

Nobody has seen the guy play since 2010 and for the last 3 season he's played in Thailand, India and for 2 Malaysian teams. Now admittedly he scored a barrowload of goals in Malaysia but then he is 6'2" and the average height of Malay is 5'4". Give him a trial at Ralston if you must but what is the rush to sign an unknown quantity?

Well tell me this. What "known quantity" will currently want to sign for us????

Well tell me this. What "known quantity" will currently want to sign for us????

Indeed. We know a great deal more about Mehmet than most players out there who might (or might not) be interested in signing for us.

We know Mehmet is a good professional, who has an enduring affinity with the club, and would be keen to return. Over and above his footballing ability, these are positive elements that we could definitely do with just now.

That's plenty.

A St Mirren Legend

An improving picture and probably reflects game time and how he was utilised.

The current scenario is that we are in the second tier of Scottish football, and languishing in a lowly position in this league. Anyone who thinks we are in the market for 20 goals a season striker is delusional. In any event, Billy would bring a great deal more to the table than simply goals, and I can see him linking up well with Mallan and Gallagher.

Edited by Drew

Surely with the January window still a week or two away, this is where the new manager's 'contacts' come into play.

Yip. You would hope that was part of the reason he was given the gig. The club in the whole IMO is a mess and my point was that "we" are not an attractive proposition to any "known quantities". I've even been saying to my mate for weeks now that if Mallans agents worth his salt he'd be organising his exit.....under contract or not.

Scored 5 in 1 game v East Stirling in the league cup in 09/10 which skews the stats a little bit

Think that's a bit unfair. Every striker we've had has got plenty of game time against part time teams in cup competitions. Not all of them scores 5.

Would be delighted if Billy came back. I don't doubt he would do a good job for us for the rest of the season.

Folk should remember that when Mehmet was at Saints, his role was as a supporting forward for the main striker, John Sutton, Craig Dargo or Michael Higdon.

His job was to run into the channels, chase back, create space. He was used more as a number 10 than an out and out striker.

And a lot of the time he played in a side without wingers. It was his job to run wide and chase after the ball!

Certainly, after we won promotion, he was being used as a supporting forward in a defensive set up. Gus Macpherson set his sides up with defence in mind. No doubt about that.

Billy Mehmet was a good player. At a lower level, in a more attacking side, in a side that has attacking wide players, Billy Mehmet may well turn out to be a regular goalscorer. He may also create more chances for whoever partners him.

I doubt he can score less than our strikers have so far managed this season!

Edited by nosferatu

Folk should remember that when Mehmet was at Saints, his role was as a supporting forward for the main striker, John Sutton, Craig Dargo or Michael Higdon.

I doubt he can score less than our strikers have so far managed this season!

Their season is only beginning. whistling.gif