Could Coronavirus Kill Our 42 Clubs

4 minutes ago, Desperately Seeking Susans said:

Eh? eh?

It's not what I want and its not possibly applicable to St Mirren.  The likelihood of 'small print' would be universally applicable throughout the football industry.  There will be circumstances whereby clubs would be incapable of paying wages in circumstances where, for example, there is a social upheaval and, as I said, wars etc.  

nope, if businesses cannot play their bills they go bust, or shareholders inject working capital; etc etc.

2 minutes ago, rea said:

nope, if businesses cannot play their bills they go bust, or shareholders inject working capital; etc etc.

I think you're missing the point.  We are talking about CONTRACTS.  I'm postulating as to the existence of clauses which may exist.  Many clubs couldn't continue to pay wages if gate money stops.  It's not a case of clubs 'cheating' their players.  Would you be happy for the club to continue to pay a player(s) who has a 3 year contract when there is no revenue coming in.  How long would clubs last?

2 hours ago, rea said:

Cash will be king if the league is suspended.

Banks wont lend to the majority of clubs and most of the clubs costs will continue while the revenue takes a nose dive.

Historically Board members of the Club would contribute 6 figure sum to tide over the club when cash was tight.

So if the club need cash now, then who on the board is going to sort and we now now have two Kibble members so will Kibble be contributing.

This is potentially a disaster for a vast number of Scottish Football Clubs, let alone all the other Sports and Business that live hand to mouth

Can you point to an instance where cash is NOT king in scottish football?this is certainly a setback with most clubs happy to have gotten to this point in the season without significant weather disruption.  We have survived extended frozen spells and can stand the 2-3 weeks of disruption that we face

10 minutes ago, beyond our ken said:

Can you point to an instance where cash is NOT king in scottish football?this is certainly a setback with most clubs happy to have gotten to this point in the season without significant weather disruption.  We have survived extended frozen spells and can stand the 2-3 weeks of disruption that we face

I think it is highly likely that th4e disruption is likely to be much loner than 2-3 weeks if the number of coronavirus cases continues to increase axs expected.

Maybe the forum should be shut down, cause we certainly seem to have a virus who has been let out of isolation by Dr Div and he is polluting every thread...…..

He seeking attention again [emoji4]
His private hire must be quiet, [emoji16]🤧

10 minutes ago, Dickson said:

It would be though. They would be doing exactly that if they were sacking players without buying out their contracts. 

I'll say it again...yes, under normal circumstances.  If such clauses exist, and remember, I would imagine that those circumstances would be unprecedented, then players would sign the contract.  No one, given coronavirus, would ever anticipate these traumatic events.  You are painting a picture of clubs screwing players.  That is simply not the case.  No one wants this situation and no doubt if this health issue continues then clubs and players would compromise but, at the end of the day you can't expect clubs to continually pay players when they can't afford to.  Remember, this is not an internal issue of club vs player, but an external one beyond the control of clubs.

Due to a long shutdown. 
Fecking hope so and serves them all right. 
FECKEM.
And when they all reform, hopefully they will mostly be Part Time and charging no more than £9 admission price.
And there should be just 40 new Clubs. 
Just what the beautiful game needs.   
Maybe it will push summer fitba' in to contention.

sevco will be one of the favourites to be in trouble.Most clubs will have some money to help them thru this but poor old sevco need the match day income to survive.

Maybe the Virus ain’t as bad as we thought.

2 hours ago, Desperately Seeking Susans said:

I think you're missing the point.  We are talking about CONTRACTS.  I'm postulating as to the existence of clauses which may exist.  Many clubs couldn't continue to pay wages if gate money stops.  It's not a case of clubs 'cheating' their players.  Would you be happy for the club to continue to pay a player(s) who has a 3 year contract when there is no revenue coming in.  How long would clubs last?

and i am postulating that such a clause does not exist

2 hours ago, beyond our ken said:

perhaps it would be better had i said that Cash Flow is king as opposed to P and L.

I hope it will be only 2 to 3 weeks...but i suspect more like 2 to 3 months

4 hours ago, Dickson said:

Going to be an interesting time, that's for sure. 

I wonder how many football clubs will look to create some sort of e-Sport competition. If people are going to be house bound soon then the social element as well as the entertainment element could become quite important as well as providing some sort of revenue. 

1877 Club.. Open it on Saturdays. 

17 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

1877 Club.. Open it on Saturdays. 

With that post, you completely miss the whole point of Quarantine, Self-Isolation and why there has been an abandonment of the football fixtures and other gatherings world-wide.

Sigh...  :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Dickson said:

Nah sorry, I'm not seeing it your way. If businesses cannot fulfil the terms of the contracts they have signed then they should go into administration where the creditors will pick over the pieces remaining. You seem to be wanting football to be a special case. This should not be the case. Football clubs should not be exempt from UK law. 

Go back and read my original post.  If such 'small print' exists players will have been guided by their agents who scrutinize the contract and if they sign how can the clubs cheat them?  I'm not advocating this or that I'm simply postulating the existence of such a clause given the coronavirus situation.

22 minutes ago, antrin said:

With that post, you completely miss the whole point of Quarantine, Self-Isolation and why there has been an abandonment of the football fixtures and other gatherings world-wide.

Sigh...  :rolleyes:

Thought no one would notice! 

Trust you. 

15 hours ago, Mid Calder Saint said:

Abandon promotion and relegation perfect opportunity for league reconstruction top league of 16 teams 30 games and get rid of the ridiculous split

It would definitely be a way to avoid the calamitous potential law suit scenarios of Hearts getting relegated or Dundee Utd not getting promoted.

However, all it would take is for the two arse cheeks to vote against it (which they would) and it won’t happen. All because the other clubs didn’t have the bollocks to change the  voting rules when Rangers weren’t around.

Edited by TPAFKA Jersey 2

20 hours ago, shull said:

Rage ? 

I am absolutely thrilled. Dancing for delight if they all went bust. :lol: 

What the hell is wrong with you man? Will you be dancing with delight if people can’t afford taxis anymore? 

it’s times like this we should be pulling together to help the club, real people, with real jobs work at the club and are at risk of losing there livelihood. Not to mention the countless pubs & catering outlets, grow up.