Morton v St Mirren 8 July 2023

Rascal

2 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Didn’t see either of the goals so don’t know what the deficiencies were there, but the rest of it was pretty underwhelming to say the least. 

Yea - pretty poor (the bits I did see). Poor up front, poor in the final ball and pedestrian middle of the park. Missed the first goal but second one was rookie defending. 

9 minutes ago, Sue Denim said:

Hopefully Carson stays but I don’t think his absence has much to do with the lack of goals?

Hopefully Mandron and McMenamin get starts in the LC and Nehmani becomes available 

Olusanya is not good enough and I have doubts about Greive too

I assume that these are not new doubts ? He's never been good enough.

2 minutes ago, spankin_panda said:

Yea - pretty poor (the bits I did see). Poor up front, poor in the final ball and pedestrian middle of the park. Missed the first goal but second one was rookie defending. 

I think I saw about ten minutes of the second half; plus about twenty or so of the first half, Olysanya was dire, headless chicken is the best description he looked like an eager schoolboy at a trial, running after everything but catching very little, sorry but I can't see a footballer there., Taylor in defence was not great either given the limited time that I  viewed, he had lots of misplaced passes and just didn't look confident, I do like Grieve; but he is ineffectual without a boisterous target man, much to lightweight to force the issue without support.  The rest of the game was so broken up between black screens, slow motion and Keystone cops speed t was difficult to comment on others, but a poor showing surely.

2 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Pre-season friendlies are training exercises. You can't read anything into them. 

Last season we were beaten by Northampton Town in Paisley. How did our season go after that ?

I’d say Northampton Town are considerably better than Morton.

You are of course right that it doesn’t matter, but let’s not pretend today was anything other than garbage. 
I won’t be getting my knickers in a twist though until the proper stuff starts next Saturday. 

1 minute ago, Wilbur said:

Pre-season friendlies are training exercises. You can't read anything into them. 

Last season we were beaten by Northampton Town in Paisley. How did our season go after that ?

Pre season games have their uses and I would think Robbo will have taken a lot from today - wouldn't imagine the strikers who started will be in our starting 11, but I it was useful to see how they performed ... The 2 new lads are only just in the door and cannot be judged yet - they are however our  expected source of goals / assists etc

Keeper issue needs resolving - unless Carson has refused to play he should be starting ..

Keanu missing etc 

So, what was on the team sheet today should be a shadow of what starts our SPL campaign 

I know it's a pre season game, but our effort in the game was embarrassing. Not gonna mention any player. But there's 5/6 in that team today. Who won't even make the squad this season. We badly need a center half. Can't judge Mandron or McMeminan. But a few others need to up their game. Waste of a Saturday.

Sent from my SM-S906B using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, JJ McG said:

Robinson should be begging Carson to stay.

Squad is weaker than last season.

Given Hemming had the number 1 AND his name on his back, I think we've said goodbye to Carson.

As for the game. Mandron looks like he's never kicked a ball and, as for the rest. Let's just say, the fans turned up, the team didn't.

4 hours ago, linwood buddie said:

Morton had a decent end to the season they are really no mugs.

I tend to agree. Also-IMO the man of the match was undoubtedly the Morton keeper. Kept them in the match with at least 3 excellent saves. He deserved the round of applause when he was substituted late in the match. If Ihave a comment it would be that we moved the ball too often with sideways passes. Particularly in the second half.

Huffed and puffed for most of the match to no avail, then the turning point seemed to be when they brought on about six substitutes which gave them fresh impetus, then the penalty and a quick fire second goal. Early doors yet, as its all about fitness at this stage.  

8 minutes ago, Rascal said:

I tend to agree. Also-IMO the man of the match was undoubtedly the Morton keeper. Kept them in the match with at least 3 excellent saves. He deserved the round of applause when he was substituted late in the match. If Ihave a comment it would be that we moved the ball too often with sideways passes. Particularly in the second half.

I have hated our style of play since we started doing  it just invites mistakes especially when you have a defence as shit as ours.

Edited by elvis