Speculation Thread

jimdickloyal

1 minute ago, djchapsticks said:

Because the agreement Hibs made with us is that we get a 30% sell on of any transfer fee Hibs get for McGinn.

It turns out Hibs negotiated in turn a 15% sell on for any profit made on McGinn which means they are obliged to give us almost a third of their 15% sell on. Hibs chairman confirmed as much at their AGM 2 seasons ago.

In addition to this, there is 5% set aside in every transfer in world football for a solidarity fee to be paid to clubs that train a player up and the cut increases as the player develops.

In our case, we trained John from 13 (when the fees start to kick in) until 20 and are due 3.5% of any future transfer fee involving him. Hibs trained him from 21-23 and so are due 1.5%.

So for example, based on say, a £30m transfer, the money would be broken down as follows:

• £30m transfer less £3m Villa paid = £27m profit.
  • Hibs take a 15% cut of that £27m = £4.05m
  • Hibs pass 30% of that to SMFC = £1.21m
  • 5% of the 30m transfer is also set aside = £1.5m
  • Hibs get 1.5% of that 5% = £450k
  • We get 3.5% of the 5% = £1.05m
  • Hibs make £3.3m in sell on and developmental fee
  • St. Mirren make £2.25m in sell on and developmental fee

Thanks for the explanation that's not too shabby! If he moves I hope we use the money on wisely to ride out this recession and not have any ticket price increases next year. 

13 hours ago, exiledfan said:

He's also at an age where clubs will want him on a 4 year contract and at 27 is heading into his peak years .  How do we get money though if he went to his first. 

I think now is the right time for Villa to sell McGinn before he hits the final year of his contract and is tempted to play it out . 

He looked jaded towards the end of last season , but he did play loads of games , these guys didn't get much rest pre season last year with the Euros do I think clubs will take that into consideration. 

He will get a decent rest during the World Cup . So will be a very good signing for a club aspiring to be top six next season .

Now here's where I would gamble on the income from McGinn and difference in top 6 income. Get him back to Paisley on a long term deal knowing grass isn't greener else where. 
Interesting. I don't know how I would feel about that as last season before he left he seemed disinterested or maybe it was just when Jim tried to play the weird formation where he tried Kiltie and McGrath next to eachother.

If it was a toss up with having the money I would go Ronan over McGrath any day of the week. Ronan could play anywhere in the middle. He was great box to box. Jim said he saw McGrath as a box to box in an interview at one point, bit never really saw him do anything of note in our own half.

Sent from my IN2023 using Tapatalk

Ronan won't be coming back to us and I doubt he'll be coming back to Scotland either. Outwith the Old Scum the only clubs who have paid in excess of a £500k fee in recent years have been Aberdeen and Hibs. Both can currently afford that but I doubt he will agree to go.

He'll want to prove himself at a higher level and, much as we don't like to admit it, playing in the English Championship would be a step up, not to mention a 5 figure/week wage.

18 minutes ago, Eric Arthur Blair said:

Ronan won't be coming back to us and I doubt he'll be coming back to Scotland either. Outwith the Old Scum the only clubs who have paid in excess of a £500k fee in recent years have been Aberdeen and Hibs. Both can currently afford that but I doubt he will agree to go.

He'll want to prove himself at a higher level and, much as we don't like to admit it, playing in the English Championship would be a step up, not to mention a 5 figure/week wage.

I know that he enjoyed his time in Scotland. His dad sat next to one of my sons at a Motherwell v St Mirren game had told him that Ronan was delighted to be playing every week. Maybe that will influence his decision.

I know he won't be back. As McGrath won't be back. I was just commenting that Ronan would be better, but neither would be back.

20 minutes ago, Mainstand Sweary Mob said:

I know he won't be back. As McGrath won't be back. I was just commenting that Ronan would be better, but neither would be back.

That's all very true we need to look forward to welcoming the next star next season who can use us to develop. it's a win win for both parties at the end of the day.