Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
Buffs

Gavin Reilly

Recommended Posts

14 minutes ago, Soctty said:

 

The 20+ goals included 4 against Lothian Thistle, 2 each against Airdrie and Hearts Colts, and one each against Stranraer and Raith Rovers.

 

And one against Aberdeen.  ( Hope he doesn't sign for Livi )

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If Mullen had scored 22 goals for us last season there's a good chance he'd be looking to get a better deal elsewhere as well. 
But he didn't. He scored 3 and is still with us.
Let's not pretend that we'd rather have Mullen than Reilly just because our ego is a bit dented because Reilly didn't sign the new deal.

The myth of Reilly being some kind of Championship superhuman is exactly that - a myth. He had a short period of time where he scored a reasonable amount of goals - 11 in the league I believe... this is by no means the kind of form that shows he would've set the Prem alight, especially considering my biggest problem with his play was his tendency to be muscled out of games, this would've simply been magnified in a more physical league.

Nothing to do with ego, quite simply if and when our starting first choice striker requires subbing next season, Danny Mullen will be a far more suitable option to bring on and hassle defenders, make runs, and hold up the ball.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would like to thank Reilly for his contribution to the title win and wish him well at his new club, unless they face St Mirren. With the decision to part ways being taken by the manager and not the player, then the ball is in Alan Stubbs’ court to bring in a striker better than the one he has chosen to let go. I hope he has someone in mind, and they make it past Gretna Services.

Edited by pozbaird

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, billyg said:

Mullen was happy to pen a 2 and a half year deal , he wants to play for St Mirren and he will improve . Gav wouldn't commit to a longer deal last summer and has suffered the consequences now , so f**k him. I hope he ends up back in the championship , which is his level anyway !

Me thinks Gavin will not attain Legendary status :byebye

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest TPAFKATS

Thought he had a great 1/2 to 2/3 of season. Appreciated his all round play as well as his goals. Would've liked to have seen him stay, hoping he could've made the step up to Premier league.
Not sure he would've been a starter though and therefore having not signed a second improved offer I'm not too upset he's moved on.
We also need to move on...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, LargsBud said:

If Mullen had scored 22 goals for us last season there's a good chance he'd be looking to get a better deal elsewhere as well. 

But he didn't. He scored 3 and is still with us.

Let's not pretend that we'd rather have Mullen than Reilly just because our ego is a bit dented because Reilly didn't sign the new deal.

Who's pretending?

As much as I've appreciated Reilly's efforts, I happen to believe that Mullen will develop into a better player than Reilly. Of course, I could be wrong.

I don't believe that Reilly would have been first choice even if JR had stayed, and I'm pretty sure JR would have intimated as much to Stubbs when  he sought JR's views on the squad.

I wish Reilly all the best at his new club as I'm sure he'll not be short of offers.

 

 

Edited by FTOF

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Who's pretending?

As much as I've appreciated Reilly's efforts, I happen to believe that Mullen will develop into a better player than Reilly.be wrong. Of course, I could

I don't believe that Reilly would have been first choice even if JR had stayed, and I'm pretty sure JR would have intimated as much to Stubbs when  he sought JR's views on the squad.

I wish Reilly all the best at his new club as I'm sure he'll not be short of offers.

 

I agree with the decision re Reilly but I sincerely hope Mullen isn't our first choice striker this coming season. We require a couple of better quality still to be competitive. Yes Mullen is clearly keen and may improve but I have seen nothing to suggest he should be leading the line next season although like you I may be (and would like to be) proved wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

I agree with the decision re Reilly but I sincerely hope Mullen isn't our first choice striker this coming season. We require a couple of better quality still to be competitive. Yes Mullen is clearly keen and may improve but I have seen nothing to suggest he should be leading the line next season although like you I may be (and would like to be) proved wrong.

Mullen won't be our first choice striker and, like you, I believe we'll see another couple signed who will be ahead of him in the pecking order.

Edited by FTOF

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Worked out alright for Fergie at Aberdeen.

True , but I somehow doubt there's much truth in all the speculation surrounding Sunderland and ex Saints players.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
If Mullen had scored 22 goals for us last season there's a good chance he'd be looking to get a better deal elsewhere as well. 
But he didn't. He scored 3 and is still with us.
Let's not pretend that we'd rather have Mullen than Reilly just because our ego is a bit dented because Reilly didn't sign the new deal.
I'd rather have Mullen because he's a better footballer than Reilly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, santaponsasaint said:

 

His new deal has been taken away by Stubbs. His new deal been on offer since the end of the season. But get the impression he thought he would get a bigger deal somewhere else. His fault IMO

 

Not surprised if true.

What I now about Santaponsasaint he's no bullshiter.

The manager is in charge.

 

  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, zico said:

Good championship striker, helped us win promotion.

We need better in the top flight.
 

I think you might be Alan Stubbs in disguise.. he clearly shares your view.  Mine is that I agree.  Players attitudes as well as talent have to be right.  We Gav's was ?able. IMO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

Can't say I'm too disappointed. Players nowadays believe that they hold all the cards. 

Despite his claims about his baby delaying his decision, I don't buy it. He's tried to be a bit cute by hedging his bets on other offers and dithered too long. He'll get another club without an issue but that's not the point, he can't moan about a contract offer being removed that was on the table for about 6 weeks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Can't say I'm too disappointed. Players nowadays believe that they hold all the cards. 

Despite his claims about his baby delaying his decision, I don't buy it. He's tried to be a bit cute by hedging his bets on other offers and dithered too long. He'll get another club without an issue but that's not the point, he can't moan about a contract offer being removed that was on the table for about 6 weeks. 

Totally agree , its not as if the contract offer was put on the table the day before his wife gave birth , and removed two days later . He got caught out , and he knows it . Still would have liked to have kept him though . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...