Speculation Thread

jimdickloyal

On 9/7/2021 at 11:19 AM, Eric Arthur Blair said:

Hopefully he lives up to the comments made by JG and he does bring some width, speed and crossing abilities to the team as they are badly needed from what I have seen so far this year..

Welcome to Saints and if you just want to see what playing for Saints might do for you just have a wee peek at the current Scottish team and squad and see how many players (never mind the manager) have had a direct involvement with the club and also see that we can also sign players that gain a new cap for their country by playing well for us.

Welcome to Paisley from the far-flung shores of Oz.

On 9/7/2021 at 10:43 AM, Mainstand Sweary Mob said:

If the rumours are true and we are signing Matt Millar this is a step in the right direction if we are set to play 3-5-2 system. 

What I know about Millar is he can play right back but seems more natural at getting forward like a right wing back. He might not be incredibly creative but has pace, which we really need, he seems to be able to get forward and can cross a ball in. He seems to have a good engine as well to continually get forward and back. Likes to get forward like Tanser does, so would hope this balance the side out and gets us what we have needed (pace), but fits the system we are playing now. 

My take on it, but last season was pretty good finish, but this was playing with what was a soild 4 at the back formation. I like the signing for people that can play multiple positions as should then allow for th eformation to change depending if at home or away or depending on the other teams set up. Early days yet to see if this will happen as we continue with 3-5-2 no matter what. 

What we lost from last season and have found replacements for:
LWB - Mason = Tanser
CM Doyle-Hayes = Ronan
ST - Obika = Main
CDM - Sheron/Foley = Power

Lost and potentially signing a replacement to fit the system:
RM - Connolly = Matthew Millar (RWB/RB)

Potentially going & replacement:
CAM - McGrath = Kiltie

Players we are yet to replace:
Durmas
Quaner/Morias

We then needed maybe 2 more in to build on last season's form, but to either fit this system or to allow the ability to change it up.
Needs not met:
* Pace/Creativity - LWB/LM/LW
* either/or Tall/Strong/Fast Striker

What we could look like if Millar comes in (Starter / Backups)
3-5-2
GK - Alnwick / Lyness / Urminský
RCB - Fraser / Finlayson
CCB - Shaughnessy / McCarthy
LCB - Dunne / 
RWB - Millar / Henderson
LWB - Tanser / Tait
CDM - Power / Erhahon / Reid
CM - Ronan / Flynn
CAM - McGrath / Kiltie / McAllister
ST - Brophy / Dennis
ST - Main / Erwin

4-5-1
GK - Alnwick
RB - Fraser 
RCB - Shaughnessy
LCB - Dunne
LB - Tait
CDM - Power 
RM - Millar
CM - Ronan
CM - McGrath
LM - Tanser
ST - Main

4-2-3-1
GK - Alnwick
RB - Fraser 
RCB - Shaughnessy
LCB - Dunne
LB - Tait
CDM - Power 
CDM - Ronan
RAM - McAllister
CAM - McGrath
LAM - Kiltie
ST - Main

4-4-2
GK - Alnwick
RB - Fraser 
RCB - Shaughnessy
LCB - Dunne
LB  - Tait
RM - Millar
CM - Power
CM - McGrath
LM - Tanser
ST - Brophy
ST - Main

Not sure I agree wholeheartedly with your interpretation; but it's certainly fair and realistic as opposed to the usual paranoia from certain quarters, food for thought anyway, thank you

Not sure I agree wholeheartedly with your interpretation; but it's certainly fair and realistic as opposed to the usual paranoia from certain quarters, food for thought anyway, thank you
Not being arsey or anything, but I would like to know your thoughts on what don't agree with? I like to hear others thoughts in a respectful debate.
I was waffling on in the post you quoted, but trying to see the difference to last season and with the new set up.

What I liked about last season is the back 4 were very solid. I felt our issue, like most teams not Celtic, Rangers or Hibs was attack and goal scoring.

I was hoping with Fraser signing on that the defence side was secure and we would look at the attack more. I think for me the thing that has unsettled everything wasn't just new signings having to fit in with an existing bunch of players, but the existing bunch having to try fit in to a new system too with the 352.

I do feel we haven't filled Durmas or a striking options that brings something different (goals would be good haha).

6 hours ago, Mainstand Sweary Mob said:

Not being arsey or anything, but I would like to know your thoughts on what don't agree with? I like to hear others thoughts in a respectful debate.
I was waffling on in the post you quoted, but trying to see the difference to last season and with the new set up.

What I liked about last season is the back 4 were very solid. I felt our issue, like most teams not Celtic, Rangers or Hibs was attack and goal scoring.

I was hoping with Fraser signing on that the defence side was secure and we would look at the attack more. I think for me the thing that has unsettled everything wasn't just new signings having to fit in with an existing bunch of players, but the existing bunch having to try fit in to a new system too with the 352.

I do feel we haven't filled Durmas or a striking options that brings something different (goals would be good haha).

For me the biggest loss was  Connolly, Doyle-Hayes was / is much in the Magennis role for me both flatter to deceive, good players yes but they need equally good players around them and they are (as indeed many players are at this level) consistently  inconsistent.  i agree with your review of last years but equally I like the idea of a back three with two good wing half's and Tamser, Millar, Tait and Power (variations thereof) might fit the bill.  I will grant you it isn't working, right at this minute, but Goddys management style got us where it did last year and HE will be hoisted by his own petard, so it is his call, and I for one wish him well. Striker wise he has got the best that we as a club can attract / afford, I like Main he is dogged and keeps on keeping on much as Basher used to in years gone by, Dennis also is a grafter and I LOVE grafters, bit of talent is no use at all if you don't graft, so my hope is something clicks with strikers ass indeed it did with Basher and Yards,.  What people need to remember is this is St Mirren, we is used to dragging defeat from the jaws of victory, lets do better this year. COYS

10 hours ago, Mainstand Sweary Mob said:

Agree with you for the most part.

The manager has now stated that he'll be going 352. He'll either be successful or he'll face the boot.

However, In Millar, who seems to be quite highly rated, I think we might have a similar player to Durmus, with a bit more pace, but maybe not quite the same end product. He'll definitely be better defensively.

I also think that our striking options are a bit different from last season, but through poor finishing and lack of created chances, we haven't scored nearly enough.

Thanks to you both@jaybee@FTOF for your input. I waffled on a lot. I agree with you both. I feel if we stuck with how we were set up the start this season might not have been as bad. I think the fact new and old players with a new system does take time. I also believe we were missing some key positions being filled before the start. I feel as we were hoofing the ball up, we were missing someone in the middle to take to ball and help move it up the park and dictate play. I hope that is Ronan from the chats of him in articles. I hope Millar brings the pace we have missed in Connolly, but brings the added engine and defence.
I like the idea of 352. Can be very versatile and attacking if have the right people. I feel at times to help with width the strikers are pulled out to aid the wing backs, but not then got the drive coming from the middle to move into the space left. I feel that was why he had McGrath and Kiltie on to do that, but wasn't working. I think the middle needs someone to cut the passes and dig in like power. It needs a box to box that I hope Ronan can be. Finally needs an attacking threat that is McGrath. I also feel to help not drag both strikers out, McGrath could be an option what ever side the Ball is at, to go support the wing back and allow them to overlap with him, he can then slink back to middle at the edge of the box.

Waffling again. I do like Jim a lot. Was my favourite player back in his playing days. I hope it all works out and it clicks for us like it did for St. Johnstone and we can push on higher again. I like that we didn't just jump for anyone (that Hibs deal I'm not sure where Wright would have fit in) and we have got Miller who should fit the system.

Today might be the making of his 352 system with McGrath and Ronin playing in front if the back three and Kiltie , Brophey and Main up front . Hoping we get to see Miller today too . 
I would hope with Ronan and McGrath then we try keeping it on the deck and using the midfield instead of going with the route one we have so far this season. These boys should be able to help get the ball up the park with pace. Excited to see this play out as hope we get it up Utd.

1 hour ago, Mainstand Sweary Mob said:
1 hour ago, MenstrieSaint said:
Today might be the making of his 352 system with McGrath and Ronin playing in front if the back three and Kiltie , Brophey and Main up front . Hoping we get to see Miller today too . 

I would hope with Ronan and McGrath then we try keeping it on the deck and using the midfield instead of going with the route one we have so far this season. These boys should be able to help get the ball up the park with pace. Excited to see this play out as hope we get it up Utd.

Would even be happy if Flynn played in front of the back three and McGrath played further up .

1 hour ago, MenstrieSaint said:

Does not fill me with confidence Kiltie is not up to. IMHO Brophey and Main do not convince either. 

I always have liked 3-5-2 as a formation but Goodie playing it without the personnel seemed foolish in the extreme. It may well be I was a bit previous condemning the manager as it might work out. The team as a unit would be getting accustomed to it and we may well have the players now to actually make it work. We wait and see.

• 2 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, pod said:

Why don't we show interest in the likes of Scott Williamson of Cambuslang Rangers, only 20 and scoring goals for fun. We used to do well with players from the Junior ranks.  A few hidden jewels out there.

21 minutes ago, pod said:

Surely worth a trial.   Scott Williamson of Cambuslang Rangers, only 20 and scoring goals for fun. We used to do well with players from the Junior ranks.  A few hidden jewels out there.

Are you his father or agent or both? :lol:

33 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

To be fair, 28 goals in 13 games so far this season does suggest he's playing at a far, far lower level than he should be.

Not necessarily, other factors come into it and the days of plenty of juniors making it to the top league are rare. 

What has he done previously, a one season wonder, football is littered with players like that. 

Anyhow, it was a throwaway comment, l don't really give a hoot. 

Edited by faraway saint

Finding gems at lower levels is becoming a rare occurrence but there are still several who slip through the net ! Back  in the day we had a string of players who came straight into our first team from Junior Football. When Scouts go out to look at a player they can usually tell after a few watches if the guy has got it for a higher level or not. I remember 30 years back  when I was with Kilbarchan Thistle Amateurs , we had a few decent players , some ex seniors and ex juniors but we had one player who I still can't believe didn't play at a higher level , he had everything. We had won a Scottish Amateur Cup Quarter Final replay on the Saturday at Coatbridge 7-3 aet , and the player had scored 4 goals in extra time. On the Monday night my phone was red hot , Eddie Hunter , Alex McDonald and John Lambie all phoned wanting the player out on trial , they were gobsmacked when I told them he was 28 years old. He ended up playing a game for Airdrie v Killie and scored twice but they never followed up their interest. If the Cambuslang player has got the attributes to play at a higher level , his goals will have alerted clubs and they will already be watching him !

Knew a guy in my teenage days who was a cracking player =- a real natural talent. Captained his school team to 2 Cup successes, and was offered trials with 3 senior clubs that I know of, including Saints. Told them all he wasn't interested. Just wanted to play football and didn't want to have to train every day and be told what they thought he needed to improve in his game. Was still playing amateur at 50, and was still one of the best players on the park.

I have played with plenty of players who were in the senior game. Some I couldn't believe played that level as they were poorest player on the pitch. Again the other side plenty who should have played a higher level but for some reason never played any higher than junior. Still seeing it to this day as who you know and right kind of boy are pushed forward than ability 

On 9/20/2021 at 6:18 PM, windae cleaner said:

I have played with plenty of players who were in the senior game. Some I couldn't believe played that level as they were poorest player on the pitch. Again the other side plenty who should have played a higher level but for some reason never played any higher than junior. Still seeing it to this day as who you know and right kind of boy are pushed forward than ability 

Yip but the difference is a willingness to train and natural fitness. See for example McAllister for us. He's never going to play to a level his ability should have taken him too.