Super Saints V Hearts Top League 29/12/13

shull

Fair enough McAusland was injured. Why Mair didnt just slot in for him I dont know.. Grainger was having his best game for us and then gets moved to a position that hes totally unfamiliar with...madness!

Shocking from Lennon, I'd love to hear his thoughts behind the substitution and why he would want 2 players centre midfield with no pace or energy.

Fair enough McAusland was injured. Why Mair didnt just slot in for him I dont know.. Grainger was having his best game for us and then gets moved to a position that hes totally unfamiliar with...madness!

Shocking from Lennon, I'd love to hear his thoughts behind the substitution and why he would want 2 players centre midfield with no pace or energy.

Indeed.

Also, Cheesy does far more than just defend - he organises those around him. If you ever look at him during a game, he's constantly barking out orders, telling players where to move, etc. We had nobody to do that in the second half. Defence was without someone to organise them and it showed.

DL sometimes gets it right but when he gets it wrong, he gets it wrong.

Good point.

He doesn't do getting it wrong by half.

The thing that annoyed me most today was that he put his ego before the team.

Mair is the obvious and correct sub, but Danny doesn't like Mairzo. So he puts his own ego and his own agenda infront of the best interests of the team, and it costs us.

Good point.

Mair is the obvious and correct sub, but Danny doesn't like Mairzo. So he puts his own ego and his own agenda infront of the best interests of the team, and it costs us.

Irony alert. lol.gif

That was one of the most stupidly poor idiotic buffon type football management performances from our Mr Lennon tonight. Just so bloody thick and stupid.

Our glorious team were well in control come half time. One injury to the young Cheesemeister could have been easily rectified by bringing on Lee Mair, simple and obvious to anyone. IF Lee Mair picked up some sort of injury then the obvious solution would have been to move young Naismith into centre half and put David Van Vanten in at right back. The shape of the team remains relatively unaffected.

I simply fail to understand why our Mr Lennon thought it in any way credible to play DVZ beside Jim Goodwin in midfield whilst moving to a back three with our left back (Danny Grainger) playing as a centre half.

The fact is we had two left backs on the park but no-one playing at left back.

My teeth almost flew out in an angry rage when I saw Gary Harkins come onto the park to replace Paul McGowan. A stupid act as wee Gowser was contributing to the game whilst both Mr Goodwin and DZV just conspired to get in folks way.

If I was in suitable distance of our Mr Lennon tonight I would have struck him on the head with rolled up newspaper repeatedly whilst shouting "what are you doing you stupid boy".

A game we should have won but our team were hamstrung by our manager today.

Edited by TediousTom

Good point.

To be fair mate, Mair and DVZ wouldn't get a kick at other SPFL clubs, both are hopeless. We should have a quality CB to bring on in place of Cheesy.

Seems daft to play three players out of position, as oppose to mair as straight swap for cheesy. Mcginn and mcgregor were excellent today. Shame mcginn never stayed in central midfield. He was causing them allsorts of problems which was opening spaces for others. Then we continue playing poorly in the second half and DL doesnt put mcginn back in the centre. I'm not to disheartened by 4 points from the two home games tho!

If that was so why was he still warming up after half time?

Yeah I thought maybe he injured himself when warming up at HT but was then warming up again after HT. No injury.

Feel sorry for Mair. Don't know what he's done wrong but to play Grainger at centre half and shift a couple of others about rather than bringing him on like-for-like must be galling.

McAusland is injured. Bring on Mair, Straight swap.

Lets say theres some issue with Mair.

Q: Why is he on the subs bench ? Q2 : Why not bring vanzy on at RB & put naismith into CH ?

Exactly.

If Mair didn't feel up for it then Jason should have moved infield as he has played centre half pretty much all his youth career.

Mair was on the park at half time going through what looked like a fitness test. Two coaches were on the park monitoring him, then Van Zanten appeared and went through a warm up routine. It was pretty obvious from that Lennon was planning the straight swap but Mair clearly wasn't fit enough to play. Whether he got the during the pre match warm up or whether he was listed when unfit is anyone's guess but I don't think the decision made at half time was down to anything personal between Lennon and the player. Van Zanten was also late coming out onto the pitch so it really did look like a late decision which probably meant the side wasn't set out properly for the restart.

What got me though was why he would go with the choices he's made having been forced to make a change. Surely Naismith or Goodwin could have played centre back. Grainger was hardly suited to the role, and playing Van Zanten with Goodwin as your two central midfielders just seems bizarre.

Mair was on the park at half time going through what looked like a fitness test. Two coaches were on the park monitoring him, then Van Zanten appeared and went through a warm up routine. It was pretty obvious from that Lennon was planning the straight swap but Mair clearly wasn't fit enough to play. Whether he got the during the pre match warm up or whether he was listed when unfit is anyone's guess but I don't think the decision made at half time was down to anything personal between Lennon and the player. Van Zanten was also late coming out onto the pitch so it really did look like a late decision which probably meant the side wasn't set out properly for the restart.

What got me though was why he would go with the choices he's made having been forced to make a change. Surely Naismith or Goodwin could have played centre back. Grainger was hardly suited to the role, and playing Van Zanten with Goodwin as your two central midfielders just seems bizarre.

Another freebie - you really are a lucky guy!

Draw a fair result in the end.

We totally dominated the 1st half but they came back strong and we lost much of our shape in the 2nd (baffling sub, but hey ho).

Kello is a class act. I'd be very suprised if we manage to hang onto him.

That was one of the most stupidly poor idiotic buffon type football management performances from our Mr Lennon tonight. Just so bloody thick and stupid.

Our glorious team were well in control come half time. One injury to the young Cheesemeister could have been easily rectified by bringing on Lee Mair, simple and obvious to anyone. IF Lee Mair picked up some sort of injury then the obvious solution would have been to move young Naismith into centre half and put David Van Vanten in at right back. The shape of the team remains relatively unaffected.

I simply fail to understand why our Mr Lennon thought it in any way credible to play DVZ beside Jim Goodwin in midfield whilst moving to a back three with our left back (Danny Grainger) playing as a centre half.

The fact is we had two left backs on the park but no-one playing at left back.

My teeth almost flew out in an angry rage when I saw Gary Harkins come onto the park to replace Paul McGowan. A stupid act as wee Gowser was contributing to the game whilst both Mr Goodwin and DZV just conspired to get in folks way.

If I was in suitable distance of our Mr Lennon tonight I would have struck him on the head with rolled up newspaper repeatedly whilst shouting "what are you doing you stupid boy".

A game we should have won but our team were hamstrung by our manager today.

Gowser was having a nightmare, he couldn't keep a hold of the ball and his passes were going anywhere but where they were meant to go. He should have been subbed well before he was. Having said that, I didn't think too many players got pass marks today. Hearts got into our faces and forced a game where the ball was always up in the air and we just didn't seem interested in getting it down and passing it about.

If McAusland had gone down during the game then probably Mair would have replaced him.

Looks like Lennon's told him he's coming on at HT, chewed it over then come up with the fairly bonkers plan B. He won plaudits for his tactics against Partick and Dundee Utd. Today I think he's just over-thought it when he should have played the percentage shot and used Mair.

Anyway, at the turn of the year, to be 8th in the league, 9 points above 11th and 5 points off 6th..... Would probably have taken that at the start of the season and it is a small miracle considering our start to the season.

Like most on here i thought we were going to stroll it today after going 1 up. Total control for the first half hour then Hearts started to get a bit of possession.

No real surprise when they equalised. Shite defending but a great strike that Kello didnt have a chance with.

After that we wete poor and they looked more likely to score again. Too many poor crosses and wasted corners.

A poor result and a a wasted opportunity tp put pressure on Hibs. We just cant seem to catch them. Not all doom and gloom as i would have taken 4 points from 6 with us scoring 5 a couple of weeks ago.

Lets take care of Killie on Thursday. Glass still half full.

Why would you have an unfit guy on the bench and he continued to warm up during the second half.

I thought Grainger was decent at Centre back but the midfield went to feck due to the changes.

No pace,energy and passing in your engine room in your team causes performances what we saw

Sigh.........typical Saints.

Started well but very glad to hang on for a point in the end against the recent whipping boys of the league.

Grainger is never a centre half. Van Zanten and Goodwin both in same position can never work, both too similar and slow.

Thought McGowan could have come off earlier too, under performed in second half.

Get Kello signed, again our best player.

Onwards to Killie..........

Is there any possibility that Mair is carrying an injury and after consultation it was decided not to risk him?

That was my thoughts too. Mair was not only warming up. I think he was stripped and ready. It would seem proprostrous that even Danny would change team shape with no time to consult unless it was absolutely unavoidable.

Even with the change we had enough good chances to win the match before the final onslaught by Hertz.

Just when you think Danny is getting it right, He baffles everybody by his tactics and subs today, he cost us two points today, We were absolutely dismal in the 2nd half, How Conor Newton played the full 90 mins is beyond me, I think he is a good player but he had a mare today, Wev will need to play a lot better v Killie,

Still tend to think Mair must have had some sort of injury and couldn't play, as if he didn't and that was just Danny tinkering then he really made an erse of it!

Even if that was the case there were better options IMO, Naismith into CB and vanzy to RB as others have said and that part of the sub just feels like Danny tinkering & ballsing it up....the sub he made disrupted the whole midfield and we never got going in the 2nd half

I was also baffled by the McGowan sub, he hadn't been brilliant by any stretch but he works so hard and creates space for others, Newton had a poor 2nd half & thought him or Goodwin were the one to be subbed...

Still a point on the board and down to Killy for a good day out and hopefully 3 points...

Couldn't believe that today and we have Kello to thank for managing to get us a draw in a game we should have coasted. Hamill scored a good goal for them but he is never a centre mid in his chuff and we failed to put any pressure on him whatsoever. Why against a struggling team do we play two defensive midfield players who spent most of the second half trying not to get in each other's road ? McGinn is in a good bit of form yet instead of bringing him inside we stick him out on the left ? Defies logic for me.

Only pass marks for me were Kello, McGregor and McGinn - rest were posted missing particularly second half. sad.png