Keith Watson Signs - Merged

From OS ....

It has been confirmed this afternoon that Keith Watson has signed an extension to his contract that will see him continue to ply his trade as a St Mirren player until at least the end of this season.

Keith signed with Saints on a short term deal back in August and went on to make his debut in the first Championship match-up with Morton back on 21st August.

The defender, who has made 12 appearances to date for Saints, said of the rest of the season ahead, “With the new gaffer coming in he’s bringing his things into training and we’ve been working on things. I think we just need to take it game by game and hopefully start picking up results and try and get as high up the table as possible.

“The training has been a bit different, he’s in and around the boys in the changing room having a chat. The boys have been enjoying training since he’s come in, it has been a good standard. Hopefully we can take what we’re doing in training into games and start picking up results.”

OK signing if he stays fit and plays at centre half. Baird has potential but needs a break. Watson is probably the best we can afford at the moment.

Baird although young is all over the shop at present. people seem to be blind by the fact he's been absolutely hopeless in recent weeks but it's ok he's young and it's Webster who's o blame anyhow. What a lot of crap.

I agree Baird has been poor recently but ye surely can't discount the fact that he is playing under alot of pressure and alongside someone who I've always considered to be highly overrated. He is one of our own and I have no doubt he will develop into a decent centre half! I say get Webster to fcuk and find someone who wants to play for us and help develop our young players!

I agree Baird has been poor recently but ye surely can't discount the fact that he is playing under alot of pressure and alongside someone who I've always considered to be highly overrated. He is one of our own and I have no doubt he will develop into a decent centre half! I say get Webster to fcuk and find someone who wants to play for us and help develop our young players!

Yes, he is under a lot of pressure, but I honestly don't think Webster is the main problem. The defence are being overrun in every game as the midfeild are offering no protection when we don't have the ball, and nobody is offering any outball when we do. Webster and Baird can either play it short into midfeild, to a couple of guys not looking for it, or hit it long to a couple of strikers who also don't want it.

Net result either way is the ball coming straight back at them. The two of them are being pulled all over the place as they are constantly under pressure and nobody else is picking up the runs from midfeild. I think if we sorted that out we'd concede far fewer goals, and I think that's the first thing Rae will try and do, rather than change the centre half's.

Yes, he is under a lot of pressure, but I honestly don't think Webster is the main problem. The defence are being overrun in every game as the midfeild are offering no protection when we don't have the ball, and nobody is offering any outball when we do. Webster and Baird can either play it short into midfeild, to a couple of guys not looking for it, or hit it long to a couple of strikers who also don't want it.

Net result either way is the ball coming straight back at them. The two of them are being pulled all over the place as they are constantly under pressure and nobody else is picking up the runs from midfeild. I think if we sorted that out we'd concede far fewer goals, and I think that's the first thing Rae will try and do, rather than change the centre half's.

This

Difficult to follow your logic, suspect you are just at the wind up as usual. Surely it was signing Baillie, Reid, Charnley, Elliot, Wishart and Irvine that stopped us having a decent striker (or two) rather than bringing in Aitken, one of the few that actually played well that season. I doubt the choice was ever "a striker or Aitken"

Belated reply...

Yes, agree with you. Any of those signings could have been ditched for a striker.

Aitken was the last signing though. At that stage it was obvious we had no striker. Hay had already signed Baillie. He already had Martin & McWhirter. The priority should have been a striker when we signed Aitken. If we'd signed a striker instead of Aitken then we may have stayed up.

Albeit we'd probably have signed a shite striker...

From OS ....

It has been confirmed this afternoon that Keith Watson has signed an extension to his contract that will see him continue to ply his trade as a St Mirren player until at least the end of this season.

Keith signed with Saints on a short term deal back in August and went on to make his debut in the first Championship match-up with Morton back on 21st August.

The defender, who has made 12 appearances to date for Saints, said of the rest of the season ahead, “With the new gaffer coming in he’s bringing his things into training and we’ve been working on things. I think we just need to take it game by game and hopefully start picking up results and try and get as high up the table as possible.

“The training has been a bit different, he’s in and around the boys in the changing room having a chat. The boys have been enjoying training since he’s come in, it has been a good standard. Hopefully we can take what we’re doing in training into games and start picking up results.”

OK signing if he stays fit and plays at centre half. Baird has potential but needs a break. Watson is probably the best we can afford at the moment.

Reading his comments are pretty interestig actually.For example it implies that the training and interaction is better as well as the realtionships. There was a lot of rumours before that this slightly feeds.

Only time will tell what Rae can bring.

Would play Webster in CB and Reid out right, we looked decent with this before Reid went off.

As has been said, Watson's a good player at this level. Not outstanding... But good.

He's a bit of a tampon though. In for 1 week out for 3.

He's had 3 separate injuries already in his short time here. No doubt he will have 3 more in the remaining months of his contract. We will be lucky to get 10 games out of him.

Reading his comments are pretty interestig actually.For example it implies that the training and interaction is better as well as the realtionships. There was a lot of rumours before that this slightly feeds.

Only time will tell what Rae can bring.

Would play Webster in CB and Reid out right, we looked decent with this before Reid went off.

Although when Rae described the first week of training after the Livi defeat he summarised it as showing worrying signs with lots of mistakes being made!

All players say that kind of thing when a new manager comes in. They're effectively all on their best behaviour and wanting to big the new guy up as much as possible.

Personally, I think the best way to do that would be on the pitch, but then again, I'm not a footballer so who knows.

• 2 months later...

St Johnstone fan on PNB saying they're in talks with him about a PCA.

No surprise really, he's a Scottish Premiership level player and we aren't a Scottish Premiership club.

Being reported by the Dundee Courier which knows their local clubs to be fair. Shame but realistically any player who does well for us over the next few years will be off pretty sharpish.

Sun also reporting Dundee bid £60k for Mallan - tuck that away for next time they greet about "derisory offers" for their players.

Aye, inevitable but pish all the same. Its a sad day when we have to resign ourselves to shite like St Johnstone and Dundee having the pick of our players.

A goal scoring full back will always attract clubs in a position to offer more poppy (note my refusal to refer to 'bigger' clubs).