Prospects For The Club .

I agree I was dumbfounded about the good players we paid to leave us or just let go. Even the likes of Magennis would be a superstar in our current squad.

Murray had a clean sheet to start with like many clubs now have to deal with every season as players are mostly on 12 month deals. He inherited Goodwin, Mallan, Kelly, Baird, Naismith and Ridgers - four of them Academy boys. He signed everyone else and not one has proved to be better than the 6 he started out with so I find it impossible to excuse Murray's dealings in the transfer department. Rae will have to do the same in May and I have more confidence he will make a better job of it.

I agree I was dumbfounded about the good players we paid to leave us or just let go. Even the likes of Magennis would be a superstar in our current squad.

Murray had a clean sheet to start with like many clubs now have to deal with every season as players are mostly on 12 month deals. He inherited Goodwin, Mallan, Kelly, Baird, Naismith and Ridgers - four of them Academy boys. He signed everyone else and not one has proved to be better than the 6 he started out with so I find it impossible to excuse Murray's dealings in the transfer department. Rae will have to do the same in May and I have more confidence he will make a better job of it.

Hope so Sonny and hope he can keep this shower in the Championship.

Magennis, Carey, Grainger, McGowan, Imrie and even feckin Harkins.... All walked or compo'd out, all turning in beeter performances now at a higher level than us.

'Beeter' performances??? I've got no grouse with that.

Edited by Lord Pityme

Hindsight is a great thing.

He was very poor for us and, at times, it was difficult to recognise him as a football player.

Also, since these players are all performing very well since leaving us, it casts serious doubt on Danny Lennon's management skills.

And before anyone mentions Tommy Craig - he didn't have any management skills at all.dry.png

Edited by FTOF

Maybe but he is easily better than any option we have at present. I will be at every game as usual yes but it's absolutely shit we are watching. It's habit there is no excitement or entertainment anymore

I suppose in Norrieland this comment counts as unmitigated positivity.

Did you "get some" at the weekend? Just keen to know where this sudden joy is coming from.

My heart is warmed at seeing your post.

What is becoming worrying is that there are posters on here who have been historically poles apart and perpetually at each others' throats in terms of the half-full/half-empty philosophy but are now in general agreement about just how far we have fallen since 2013.

In recent months I sometimes felt that perhaps the fans were too hard on certain players and whilst there is a tendency to over-egg our criticism in moments of despair - this despair is now approaching terminal proportions and it is now difficult to excuse any of the players for their individual and collective performances. If they are incapable of better performances than we have been witnessing up till now we are in deep trouble.

In present form there is only one team worse than us in this league and we play them on Saturday. If we do not win this one we may be battling to avoid automatic relegation for the rest of the season.

There will be a sad irony on Saturday when we will be remembering how far we have fallen when I presume there will be a tribute to one of our all-time greats - Tommy Bryceland. I am fortunate to be old enough to remember seeing for myself how good he was! Surely the most gifted uncapped player ever to put on the Saints colours.

The club that shat itself when confronted with success. How the BoD felt we could afford to release players like McGowan, Carey, Harkins, Samson, Imrie on top of the class loan players like Newton and Dummet is a complete mystery.

I'm not sure the board can really be blamed for that. Those decisions were down to the manager at the time, Danny Lennon.

McGowan had mitigating circumstances. I think his off field issues had a lot to do with the decision to let him go. Samson was a real shame as by all accounts all he wanted was a wedge on par with other players in the team and yet he wasn't offered anywhere near that so he decided he had to go elsewhere.

Carey was always a favourite of mine, I still don't know why we let a player like him go, and it still pisses me off.

Imrie never got a run of games under Lennon, and the only time he did start playing well he got dropped for absolutely no reason.

Harkins never seemed to fit in right from the word go, I really don't know why.

In actual fact if you listed all Danny's signings, a lot of them were hopeless but in there you also had gems like Thommo, Teale, Isma, Newton, Dummett, Hasselbaink, McGregor, Samson. I think some of them were down to Austin McPhee at the time. The signings seemed to go absolutely bongo after he left. The relationship with Newcastle also seemed to go sour after the way Adam Campbell was treated.

Danny Lennon left st.mirren at the correct time it's just such a shame hi sidekick wasn't shunted then too. It was a cheap and disastrous decision that has ultimately cost us so dearly. We now find ourselves in the frozen wasteland of the championship with a absolutely horrific team that is on a par with John coughlins. This team has nothing. there is nothing to get excited about and sadly it's been coming this. We are going nowhere and it will remain this way unless new leadership is found.

I'll stick my head above the parapet here and say it's more to do with a lack of fitness and coherent plans that have dragged what appeared to be a decent squad down to a shambolic shower of wasters. Now I'm not sure Rae can turn it around as, for many, the rut has formed in the mud of incontinence.

at the start of the season the majority had us as a decent squad and destined for an, at least, non torturous season.

Yes. There will need to be changes, and quite a few , but it would have been interesting if a better, more savvy, manager, who liked to play football and knew where to play the players we had.

We are where we are and I can only hope the major surgery works.

I'm not sure the board can really be blamed for that. Those decisions were down to the manager at the time, Danny Lennon.

McGowan had mitigating circumstances. I think his off field issues had a lot to do with the decision to let him go. Samson was a real shame as by all accounts all he wanted was a wedge on par with other players in the team and yet he wasn't offered anywhere near that so he decided he had to go elsewhere.

Carey was always a favourite of mine, I still don't know why we let a player like him go, and it still pisses me off.

Imrie never got a run of games under Lennon, and the only time he did start playing well he got dropped for absolutely no reason.

In actual fact if you listed all Danny's signings, a lot of them were hopeless but in there you also had gems like Thommo, Teale, Isma, Newton, Dummett, Hasselbaink, McGregor, Samson. I think some of them were down to Austin McPhee at the time. The signings seemed to go absolutely bongo after he left. The relationship with Newcastle also seemed to go sour after the way Adam Campbell was treated.

Imrie got a good run of games from when he arrived until Kenny McLean regained fitness - Imrie's problem was that although versatile when everyone was fit he wasn't first pick anywhere.

Releasing both Harkins & McGowan at the end of the 2013/14 season struck me as odd - Danny Lennon never found a way to play them both effectively but I'd have kept one - preferably Harkins to avoid the need for a payoff.

The apparent repercussions of signing Gregg Wylde - pushing Campbell down the pecking order and the end of the Newcastle loanees have to go down have got to go down as an own goal by Lennon.

Imrie got a good run of games from when he arrived until Kenny McLean regained fitness - Imrie's problem was that although versatile when everyone was fit he wasn't first pick anywhere.

Releasing both Harkins & McGowan at the end of the 2013/14 season struck me as odd - Danny Lennon never found a way to play them both effectively but I'd have kept one - preferably Harkins to avoid the need for a payoff.

The apparent repercussions of signing Gregg Wylde - pushing Campbell down the pecking order and the end of the Newcastle loanees have to go down have got to go down as an own goal by Lennon.

I agree with most of this BtB but what I struggle was the fact we paid a fee, indeed outbid Dundee Utd, for a player who wasn't a first pick in any position. Surely the manager should have a "nailed on role" in mind for such a signing.

The whole thing really started with the appointment of Tommy Craig. Everyone apart from the BOD knew that this was a bonkers appointment.

God only knows what the thinking behind this was, although I suspect that it was to save a few bob. Well it's cost them a fortune.

McGowan had to go - he had a poor last season and his off the field problems (and top wage) weren't worth it anymore. I don't recall too much outrage when he left. Carey was overweight and never established himself second time around. Again, at the time, I don't think people were desperate for him to stay. Imrie and Harkins never really fitted in. Harkins in particular was pretty dreadful for us despite clearly having ability. Samson was great for us despite no-one being terribly excited about his signing, and it was a shame that he left. I thought the story was that he simply went to Killie for more money.

Easy to say with hindsight that all of these guys were much better than the present dross, and of course they are. But at the time, it made sense to get rid of them all on the premise that we would replace them with better players, or even just better motivated and more effective equivalents. The same is also true for Lennon - it was probably time for him to go, but no-one would have wanted him to go if they'd known he'd be replaced by Tommy Craig.

Nothing wrong with the turnover in squad and manager per se, but the replacing of all of them has been woeful.

I agree with most of this BtB but what I struggle was the fact we paid a fee, indeed outbid Dundee Utd, for a player who wasn't a first pick in any position. Surely the manager should have a "nailed on role" in mind for such a signing.

You're so right - indeed I have a feeling I might have started a thread along those lines back in the day.................whistling.gif

The whole thing really started with the appointment of Tommy Craig. Everyone apart from the BOD knew that this was a bonkers appointment.

God only knows what the thinking behind this was, although I suspect that it was to save a few bob. Well it's cost them a fortune.

I think the rot had already started and the appointment of TC just made a bad situation a whole lot worse.