Jimmy Nicholl - Yet another coach!

div

36 minutes ago, Soctty said:

This reminds me of the stick Stubbs was getting for bringing in yet another centre mid (his second) earlier in the season. 

Kearney makes yet another coaching appointment (his first)...

Wee bit harsh.

If this comes off we're going to have a Director of Football, a first team manager, an assistant manager, a first team coach and a goalkeeping coach.

For me, for a club of our size, that's too many. It's also creating a cost structure that would be unsustainable should the worst happen and we end up back down a level.

2 minutes ago, div said:

Wee bit harsh.

If this comes off we're going to have a Director of Football, a first team manager, an assistant manager, a first team coach and a goalkeeping coach.

For me, for a club of our size, that's too many. It's also creating a cost structure that would be unsustainable should the worst happen and we end up back down a level.

I can see merit in it and who knows, it might be connected with the Club going for elite Academy status again.

8 minutes ago, div said:

Wee bit harsh.

The director of football is not a coach.

It's not unreasonable to have 3 outfield first team coaches. Jack said last year that the workload was too much for him and James to split between themselves and he would be looking to bring in a new coach to help them.

If your issue is that you dont think we can sustain a director of football role then thats a different issue entirely and has been discussed to death on another thread.

But in terms of first team coach. We are essentially one down from where we need to be and Jimmy Nichol is a good option IMO.

I think it is a good move, Kearney clearly has wanted Nicholl alongside him from the start. We clearly have a real problem in going away from home that Kearney is unable to solve, perhaps a more experienced manager needed to work out what is going on inside the players heads.

The concern when it comes to the wage bill is very understandable though! All of Stubbs duds, pay offs for Stubbs and Jackson, over 30 players....many of whom will never kick a ball for us again. Is that what selling McGinn, Morgan and Mallan gets us? I sincerly hope Gordon Scott is keeping a very close eye on finances, and that we are not going to find all of the McGinn money gone in one season!

Guest TPAFKATS

For me it's about priorities.
The priority is improving the quality of the playing squad, not the technical director and assistant manager.
The spunking of cash on wages for at least one of these posts could've waited until we established what tier we are in playing in next season.

1 hour ago, LargsBud said:

The director of football is not a coach.

It's not unreasonable to have 3 outfield first team coaches. Jack said last year that the workload was too much for him and James to split between themselves and he would be looking to bring in a new coach to help them.

If your issue is that you dont think we can sustain a director of football role then thats a different issue entirely and has been discussed to death on another thread.

But in terms of first team coach. We are essentially one down from where we need to be and Jimmy Nichol is a good option IMO.

He was pictured on the training ground last week with his tracksuit on.

The Director of Football role makes sense to me, what I'm questioning is whether a club of our size can really justify the cost of having three coaches, a manager and a director of football.

It seems top heavy to me.

Seems most folk are quite happy about it so I'll shut up!

1 hour ago, Kemp said:

I think it is a good move, Kearney clearly has wanted Nicholl alongside him from the start. We clearly have a real problem in going away from home that Kearney is unable to solve, perhaps a more experienced manager needed to work out what is going on inside the players heads.

The concern when it comes to the wage bill is very understandable though! All of Stubbs duds, pay offs for Stubbs and Jackson, over 30 players....many of whom will never kick a ball for us again. Is that what selling McGinn, Morgan and Mallan gets us? I sincerly hope Gordon Scott is keeping a very close eye on finances, and that we are not going to find all of the McGinn money gone in one season!

Probably the case, if so it would've been better (certainly cheaper) appointing him to the DoF role last month.

I welcolm this move. Not one of our coaches was brought in by Oran. He needs his own man in the dugout. Nicholl is a knowledgeable old head who can help get the best out of players. We have a substandard squad who need as much help as they can get until we can clear it out. If any of our coaches was to go then it should be Rice. We definitely made a total mess of this season so far but this might be an appointment for the good for a change.

30 minutes ago, Doakes said:

Notice that our Sports Scientist left the club earlier today... posting some cryptic stuff on twitter about it not being what he wanted / "times a changing" etc. Not sure if linked but not worth a separate thread 

Sports science has to be one of the biggest cons within football in the last 20 years.

If you need to pay someone to tell you that pizza and chips is bad for you and that carbs are good as a slow burning fuel then there is something wrong with you.

I remember seeing one of these guys on youtube a few years ago preparing half time drinks specifically tailored for each individual player as though these tiny tweaks are meaningful. What an absolute pile of nonsense. A player goes out in the second half feeling crap about the game or his home life and his game is ruined. No amount of pissing about with electrolytes is going to fix that.

16 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Sports science has to be one of the biggest cons within football in the last 20 years.

If you need to pay someone to tell you that pizza and chips is bad for you and that carbs are good as a slow burning fuel then there is something wrong with you.

I remember seeing one of these guys on youtube a few years ago preparing half time drinks specifically tailored for each individual player as though these tiny tweaks are meaningful. What an absolute pile of nonsense. A player goes out in the second half feeling crap about the game or his home life and his game is ruined. No amount of pissing about with electrolytes is going to fix that.

Tbh I agree. As a professional athlete, they have a responsibility to be fit and healthy to play, at a minimum.

I think there is something to be said for making use of different styles of coach. Notice that Kearney has the players working with a boxing coach the last few weeks. Not sure on that as it's a different style of movement - but perhaps getting them on fitness courses / army style boot camps or working on movement techniques could give us the edge over other clubs. 

15 minutes ago, Doakes said:

Tbh I agree. As a professional athlete, they have a responsibility to be fit and healthy to play, at a minimum.

I think there is something to be said for making use of different styles of coach. Notice that Kearney has the players working with a boxing coach the last few weeks. Not sure on that as it's a different style of movement - but perhaps getting them on fitness courses / army style boot camps or working on movement techniques could give us the edge over other clubs. 

Yes, I think this would have more impact. Anything which involves teamwork, fighting for each other etc would have a much bigger impact than pissing about with drink preparation.

1 hour ago, oaksoft said:

Going by the shape physically the squad are in he must have been rotten at it too.  

2 hours ago, MenstrieSaint said:

Thinking Jimmy Nicholl will be a part time appointment and that he will still be working with the Northern Ireland international team , good appointment I think , liked by everyone , lots of contacts

Two people have left.  The Sports Scientist and Martin Hardie,  one of the youth coaches.

I too think that Jimmy Nicholl will split his time between the NI job and ourselves.  So perhaps no increase in costs and more emphasis on the first team squad.

JN would I think be an asset and should impact on the short to medium term.  

Edited by St.Ricky

I hope for Oran's sake this doesn turn out like the ' Meltdown Murray' where in a last desperate act to save him the board parachuted Alex Millar in for what turned out to be a few days.  The similarities are striking... 'young manager from diddy club/league struggling, following previous abortive managerial appointment.' Ex currant bun hard man parachuted into the dug out... we know how that ended.

I hope for Oran's sake this doesn turn out like the ' Meltdown Murray' where in a last desperate act to save him the board parachuted Alex Millar in for what turned out to be a few days.  The similarities are striking... 'young manager from diddy club/league struggling, following previous abortive managerial appointment.' Ex currant bun hard man parachuted into the dug out... we know how that ended.

Did jack Ross come from a diddy/league club?

7 hours ago, div said:

Wee bit harsh.

Nicholl could possibly be part time Div?. 

Edited by linwood buddie
missed an "l"

4 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Ah, where to start. 

First of all, it's Miller, not Millar.

Ian Murray was appointed at the end of the previous season. He had a full pre-season and transfer window to sign a bunch of footballers not good enough to play for us. Much like Stubbs did, in fact. 

OK has come into a squad with no strength in depth as a result of Stubbs making an arse of it, with zero confidence. He has already signed three players of much higher quality and identified those not good enough, as well as starting to integrate younger players into the team. Results have been poor, but they also were at the start of Jack Ross's tenure. If you want to compare OK's start with that of any other manager, it is much closer to JR than IM. 

Guest TPAFKATS
Didn't realise either were known as hard men.
Both played right back for rangers which would be a link if you were desperately trying find one?

10 hours ago, Hendo said:

Ah, where to start. 

First of all, it's Miller, not Millar.

Ian Murray was appointed at the end of the previous season. He had a full pre-season and transfer window to sign a bunch of footballers not good enough to play for us. Much like Stubbs did, in fact. 

OK has come into a squad with no strength in depth as a result of Stubbs making an arse of it, with zero confidence. He has already signed three players of much higher quality and identified those not good enough, as well as starting to integrate younger players into the team. Results have been poor, but they also were at the start of Jack Ross's tenure. If you want to compare OK's start with that of any other manager, it is much closer to JR than IM. 

When you say closer to JR do you mean the lengthening series of poor defeats, or winning the league below this one? Ross has never managed in the premiership so i dont know how he compares?

10 hours ago, buddies1877 said:

Did jack Ross come from a diddy/league club?

He did, and left before managing in tbe premiership.

2 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

When you say closer to JR do you mean the lengthening series of poor defeats, or winning the league below this one? Ross has never managed in the premiership so i dont know how he compares?

He did, and left before managing in tbe premiership.

We know you have issue with giving JR the praise he deserves. Taking a club from the brink of relegation to champions of the same league in a little under 18 months is a fantastic achievement. Your incapability to be positive, means you have to grasp onto something negative to say ‘he never managed in the SP’ ‘he lost his first six games’ 

what a sorry stand point to have. I expect nothing more from you if OK turns it round and becomes a success ‘aye but remember the start he had’