League within a league

If anybody really thought we could threaten any of the top 6 this season they are seriously delusional.

The talk about competing today is a fair point, but Aberdeen will take 4 goals off quite a few teams this season, especially at home.

I've thought that the top 6, who are, in no particular order, Celtic, Rangers, Aberdeen, Hearts, Hibs & Kilmarnock, are streets ahead of the rest, and will hand out many a thumping to the other teams in the league.

Our survival depends, mainly, on what we do against the other diddy teams.

We've already beaten one, next week we have the chance to beat another. 

The level of panic after today, not a surprise as the usual suspects have been waiting on any opportunity to blame the manager since he was appointed, is amusing.

This season was always going to be tough, even if Ross was still here.

The club need the support they got last season, always easier to "support" when we're winning, for some.

We looked today what we are, a team who've just come up from the diddy league and are still in transition.

Can we survive, who knows, but the club deserve support as it's well documented the difference that made last season. 

55 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

If anybody really thought we could threaten any of the top 6 this season they are seriously delusional.

The talk about competing today is a fair point, but Aberdeen will take 4 goals off quite a few teams this season, especially at home.

I've thought that the top 6, who are, in no particular order, Celtic, Rangers, Aberdeen, Hearts, Hibs & Kilmarnock, are streets ahead of the rest, and will hand out many a thumping to the other teams in the league.

The level of panic after today, not a surprise as the usual suspects have been waiting on any opportunity to blame the manager since he was appointed, is amusing.

The club need the support they got last season, always easier to "support" when we're winning, for some.

We looked today what we are, a team who've just come up from the diddy league and are still in transition.

Can we survive, who knows, but the club deserve support as it's well documented the difference that made last season. 

We would need one of these to threaten them.

See the source image

The team that come up from the so called diddy league has been dismantled.We are barely recognisable 18 players out and 11 in.Stubbs is still trying to sort out his best team.The clock is ticking for me and why is he only interested in players on loan from down south.He has wasted valuable time in not trying to bring in some of the better home grown talent.Finally how come Jack managed with only an assistant manager yet Stubbs in addition to a number 2 has a First Team Coach who failed at United and Raith.Time for the Chairman to ask a few questions.

4 minutes ago, Mid Calder Saint said:

The team that come up from the so called diddy league has been dismantled.We are barely recognisable 18 players out and 11 in.Stubbs is still trying to sort out his best team.The clock is ticking for me and why is he only interested in players on loan from down south.He has wasted valuable time in not trying to bring in some of the better home grown talent.Finally how come Jack managed with only an assistant manager yet Stubbs in addition to a number 2 has a First Team Coach who failed at United and Raith.Time for the Chairman to ask a few questions.

I'm of the opinion the team that came up from the diddy league would have been dismantled by Ross.

It's all subjective if it would have gone any better, generally a big task for teams that come up. 

I get the debate about players, where they have come from, etc but other teams are struggling to tempt players of any calibre to our league.

Not an easy task, but still very early days IMO. 

3 minutes ago, helpmaboab said:

Salary cap is the only way to solve the lack of competition but that's not what the OF or SFA or FA want. It's simply a case of the clubs with the most money win. Occasionally the underdog has a win and that keeps it mildly interesting

Yup, none of our players should get any more than £7M p.a.!  

JR wanted to add someone to the management team this season too on that point.

I agree - our winnable battles will be against the teams who didn't finish in the top 6 last year. I think they (the top 6) will remain the same this year.

I said in a previous post that best of the rest (7th) is our most realistic best outcome but established clubs like St J/Motherwell will be slight favourites over us.

9th or 10th would be a realistic likely outcome and either of them will be do me.

We've got to be pragmatic - we need time to settle back into the top league - lets manage our expectations.

So 10th will do the job this year.

...and the Scottish Cup. 

9 hours ago, faraway saint said:

I'm of the opinion the team that came up from the diddy league would have been dismantled by Ross.

It's all subjective if it would have gone any better, generally a big task for teams that come up. 

I get the debate about players, where they have come from, etc but other teams are struggling to tempt players of any calibre to our league.

Not an easy task, but still very early days IMO. 

Ross had already begun the process. He knew he had a Championship squad.

The problem I have is the product on the pitch at the moment. It's all well and good saying it's early days and a fledgling squad but the players Stubbs has introduced seem to be of, at best, the same standard as ones we've let go. 

I hope it's just a familiarisation issue but I'm not filled with confidence. Next Saturday I think Livi will score at least once. I'm concerned we'll not match them. I hope I'm wrong.

The team that won the championship last year would never of handled this division either. As for players name the home grown talent that our club would attract? Stubbs had less time than other teams to prepare so I’ll give him a little bit more time plus we should be asking the chairman a few questions why he gave Stubbs a 3 year contract if this doesn’t work out.

Wrong mentality. We need to believe we can beat anyone. Last year I would’ve backed us to give any team a game on our day. Going up to Aberdeen in the cup last season I still believe we were capable of beating them. Was a rare poor performance from JR’s side. 

it’s all about confidence 

1 hour ago, Buffs said:
11 hours ago, faraway saint said:
Kilmarnock, top 6 last season? :1eye
Who will take their place in the top 6? 

The top 5 are streets ahead of the rest but Kilmarnock aren't in this bracket, IMO. They may well finish 6th but they're not much better than the rest.

Kilmarnock were 5th last season, 10 points in front of 6th place Hearts.

Clarke has done a magnificent job and there's no reason to think he can't replicate that this season IMO. 

I never went to any of the cup games but have been at Dundee, Rangers & Aberdeen and have to say I agree with you and have posted the same myself elsewhere.

We will be very lucky if we get 1 victory and a couple of draws against the top 6 this season(based totally on last 3 weeks that is).

The fixture god's have a funny way of giving you matches this 6 match period has us (Rangers, Aberdeen,Hearts and Celtic but also our 2 rivals in Livingston and Hamilton).

If by 5pm on 22nd of September we are sitting on 7 or 9 points it's actually a really good start points wise.

13 hours ago, shull said:

Great Thread :snore :byebye

It is a very good point that is made by our mutual forum friend, very good point indeed.

Be under no illusions that many of our "fair weather" fans will dissapate into the wilderness as the season progresses if we do not look like securing top six status.  As it stands we do not look like we will be able to secure top six status.

8 minutes ago, helpmaboab said:

All this shite talk from every bleeding expert on here. This is how it works (usually), but football can sometimes have an upset and the worse team wins, mainly because the best team wastes their goal chances, or get a bit too cocky.

THE TEAM WITH THE BEST (EXPENSIVE) PLAYERS WIN. THE RICHEST CLUBS ARE THE ONES WHO BUY THE BEST  PLAYERS.

We have had some really good players in the recent past and we have had to sell them because we need the money, the players want to move on to the bigger richer clubs for greater 'success', medals, playing in Europe, etc.etc., and get paid more. Our latest last manager also did the same. The system is broken, has been for as long as I can remember. F**kin joke! We are being taken for mugs.

That actually means we need a manager who recognises raw talent and has the ability to mould and develop that talent into a player who the gets that illusive move to better their career. This, in turn gives multiple pluses. It makes the club money, encourages other young prospects to say yes when that manager comes calling, keeps the conveyor belt moving and gives us a decent player for a period of time until they in turn move on.

Managers of clubs our size need to be smarter and more involved in the development side of the club.

2 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Kilmarnock were 5th last season, 10 points in front of 6th place Hearts.

Clarke has done a magnificent job and there's no reason to think he can't replicate that this season IMO. 

This was also a season where Killie started off with the pish McCulloch served up. Imagine where they could have finished if Clarke had the full season.

2 hours ago, stlucifer said:

That actually means we need a manager who recognises raw talent and has the ability to mould and develop that talent into a player who the gets that illusive move to better their career. This, in turn gives multiple pluses. It makes the club money, encourages other young prospects to say yes when that manager comes calling, keeps the conveyor belt moving and gives us a decent player for a period of time until they in turn move on.

Managers of clubs our size need to be smarter and more involved in the development side of the club.

Lucy.  I am amazed.  For once I am able to agree with you.  You must have been taking your Positivity Pills. 

2 hours ago, TediousTom said:

It is a very good point that is made by our mutual forum friend, very good point indeed.

Be under no illusions that many of our "fair weather" fans will dissapate into the wilderness as the season progresses if we do not look like securing top six status.  As it stands we do not look like we will be able to secure top six status.

As it stands does not look like we could secure bottom six never mind top six.