Saints V Dumbarton

St.Ricky

Guest TPAFKATS
I genuinely thought we would draw................William Hill can confirm that. [emoji20]

I was so convinced I once again broke my own betting rules and took us on my coupon.
In fact, today was probably my fault.

1 hour ago, TopCat said:

Well of course the window will decide our fate. We made up 10 point gaps on teams last season from the window onwards. We aren't relegated because of today by any means, but we will go down unless we get it right in the window.

10 points, it will be a ten point gap by the beginning if December if Langfield and co continue as they are. God knows what the gap will be by the time the transfer window opens. I'm usually pretty positive but this is glaring obvious, a total death spiral leading to automatic relegation. If Langfield had a shred of professional pride he would go on to his beloved twitter and announce his retirement. A total liability at professional level. Wouldn't get a game in the Juniors.

51 minutes ago, Debaser said:

Thought the young guys all did well and the most solid our defence has looked all season, another individual error but I still think Langfield is a better keeper than Gallagher, langfields error was no worse than Hardie missing from under the bar. 

Encouraging signs but TBH we probably need a crap performance with a win more than an OK performance and a defeat. 

And Bobby Dawson was better than Brian Smith. :)

5 minutes ago, stlucifer said:

Today, whether you think the performance acceptable or not, was the day I knew we were relegated.

Yup. Create plenty of chances, don't take them, on top for most of the game then gift them a ridiculous goal. All the signs of a team going down.

Edited by Stu

Defence was better.

Midfield was better.

We dominated possession.

We played at a higher pace.

We had a large number of attempts on the Dumberton goal.

An individual error gave away a soft goal.

But - Langfield had earlier made a superb stop.

Better, Brighter, Beginning to get there.

Oh and the fans were great throughout.

It is sobering to realise that just over 3 years ago we were able to defeat Celtic on merit in a semi final (and win the final) and then, through bad stewardship, disrupt the stability of our player pool by wholesale changes in the interests of seeking a "new direction".

Today we can't beat the second worst team in the second tier at home and our journey is now onwards and downwards - not the direction we had anticipated!

10 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

Defence was better.

Midfield was better.

We dominated possession.

We played at a higher pace.

We had a large number of attempts on the Dumberton goal.

An individual error gave away a soft goal.

But - Langfield had earlier made a superb stop.

Better, Brighter, Beginning to get there.

Oh and the fans were great throughout.

This is bang on ,the only thing I would add is our failure to take any of our chances , Bottom line is one goal in the last four league games.

4 minutes ago, northstbuddie said:

It is sobering to realise that just over 3 years ago we were able to defeat Celtic on merit in a semi final (and win the final) and then, through bad stewardship, disrupt the stability of our player pool by wholesale changes in the interests of seeking a "new direction".

Today we can't beat the second worst team in the second tier at home and our journey is now onwards and downwards - not the direction we had anticipated!

Or to put it another part time Dumbarton have more than double our points tally, and part time Ayr United have more than treble our points tally, and newly promoted Dunfermline who are now second bottom also have more than double our points haul this season.

I am not a happy clapper but I recognise a brighter outlook under our new manager.

Lady Luck gave our team the two fingers today. When did we last get an even break ? When you're up to your neck in sh*te you can expect a squadron of diarrhoea-infected flying cows to pass overhead.

I witnessed a vastly improved display today and was encouraged by promising performances from the two youngsters that Jack Ross handed a starting opportunity. The team created umpteen clear cut chances but failed to hit the net. Bad luck more than bad finishing in many cases.

Poor old Jamie Langfield made an amazing point blank save and 10 minutes later undid all his own good work. Time for him to go I think, hopefully a new goalkeeper coming our way in January.

I have faith in JR to turn things around. This season's target is survival. If we can achieve that I look for a more successful 2017/18.

How can you say it wasn't a gamble? Jack Ross has no experience of full time management ever, his only experience in this league was taking a part time team down. It was the absolute definition of a gamble.

The issue is we don't have a few weeks, a months more performances like Tuesday and today and we could be 10 points adrift at the bottom of the league.

We needed a fire fighter, someone who could come in and kick arses and get it changed quickly. I'm sure Jack has a 'philosophy' and that and he might even be a good manager one day. If he had a full summer and a pre season he might even have been a success with us.

To give him - indeed to give any rookie - the job when we were bottom of the league in October was madness. Got to feel for him, he's been given an absolute hospital pass and it could finish his managerial career.

You're right though, it's not his fault, you can't expect a rookie like him to turn it around quickly, and you also can't blame him for accepting the appointment. It's the fault of those who appointed the rookie.

Who would you of gave the job to then??

Jack was the best option there to take the job.

He took a part time team down and made them stronger.

Given time to fix this piss poor unbalanced squad he will make us a better side too imo even if we do go down he will have next to fook all to work with in finances in January.

We can't keep changing managers jack will be here till atleast next season when he should be judged by the squad he puts together

Ross has been in charge 4 games. In that time he has given the players a chance to show what they can do. He has realised Hutton is shit and dumped him. Gave Walsh a chance and dumped him. Same for Hardie and Shankland. He promoted two inexperienced players who were the best two on the park today and has said they will now be regulars because of not only their ability but because they have a feeling for the club. We had 20 attempts on goal today (BBC) but Ross was not responsible for our experienced keeper passing the ball 15 yards to an opposition forward when under no pressure and losing a goal in a game we were dominating. He also was not responsible when Hardie had an empty net but somehow managed to hit the crossbar instead while only a couple of yards from the goal line. Ross is trying to sort out the clusterf**k that Rae left him and has taken positive steps to do so. He needs more than 4 games before folk start calling him a dud.

Who would you of gave the job to then??

Jack was the best option there to take the job.

He took a part time team down and made them stronger.

Given time to fix this piss poor unbalanced squad he will make us a better side too imo even if we do go down he will have next to fook all to work with in finances in January.

We can't keep changing managers jack will be here till atleast next season when he should be judged by the squad he puts together

There was several experienced candidates available. Guys who're proven at this level. Mixu, MacPherson... even Calderwood would have done. All would have taken the job.

He took them down and made them stronger? What are you basing that on exactly? I looked into this a bit more, it's actually the opposite. Here was the table on the day before Jacks first game in charge of Alloa (which was also Alex's first day in charge of St Mirren).

IMG_1478391029.724267.jpg

Alloa not in a great position certainly, but by no means doomed. Only 3 points behind 9th and 4 behind 8th. In a far better position than we are in now anyway. Here's the final table:

IMG_1478391153.898069.jpg

Alloa finish 10 points behind 9th and an astounding 16 points behind 8th. They went downhill from the day he was appointed and the gap to safety never got smaller, it got rapidly larger.

Fast forward to this season and he leaves them in 3rd place in league 1, behind Brechin City and Livingston. Made them stronger?!

As for your last part, I agree with it. We can't keep changing managers and Jack will almost certainly be here till the end of the season. That is one of the main reasons why I think we will be relegated.

If you're wanting a positive spin on those tables you can see how rapidly we made up the ground on Morton, Dumbarton and QOTS over the period from late December to the end of the season. Safety is clearly achievable, but only if the football club is managed properly between now and the end of the season, on and off the park. The issue is I have no faith that it will be.

Sonny thoroughly agree with your comments.We were desperately unfortunate today not helped by a thoroughly incompetent referee who just allowed Dumbarton to time waste at every opportunity.After the final whistle Fowler clearly questioned the added time which was nowhere enough given the use of all subs and stoppages.No excuses for Jamie for his howler a shame really as I thought he otherwise was fine today with a fantastic reaction save from Fleming.As for TopCat's comment about Ross not managing a full time club previously Danny Lennon came straight from a part time team and we managed to win a major trophy under his guidance.Finally I was really impressed by young Magennis today and think he has a great future in the game.Equally the same can be said for McAllister and Morgan.

12 minutes ago, Mid Calder Saint said:

Finally I was really impressed by young Magennis today and think he has a great future in the game. Equally the same can be said for McAllister and Morgan.

This may not be a popular opinion but I have my doubts about Morgan. Does anyone else think we may have a one-trick pony, solely left-sided who is incapable of cutting inside a full back and lacking pace on the outside ? He doesn't lack for effort but I can't see an end-result from his contribution.

Like I said earlier, I've not seen us often this year but I feel the abuse Langfield is getting to be a bit harsh. Yes, he cost us the game but that aside he did play well when required and his save was simply unbelievable.

Having seen Gallacher earlier this season I have no confidence he would be any better and the thought of us us spending a chunk of our limited budget on another keeper makes me want to vomit.

7 hours ago, Wilbur said:

This may not be a popular opinion but I have my doubts about Morgan. Does anyone else think we may have a one-trick pony, solely left-sided who is incapable of cutting inside a full back and lacking pace on the outside ? He doesn't lack for effort but I can't see an end-result from his contribution.

Sums up all of our 'youth' products. Technically not good enough, physically behind and mentally fragile.

Far too much focus and hope has been spent on playing football the 'right way', which has only produced a handful of players who fail to standout in an awful Championship side, was there not a hope we could one day field an entire team of our youth players? 

The sooner we rip up the half arsed approached we have to developing youth products the better. I'd rather see every penny spent on scouting.